Equipment needed for macro photography?

Haha, that's good, because I thought I had a lot of them.
I'm willing to spend that much and even a little more on something as important as that, but over $200 is slightly pushing it.
Okay! Since I'm a beginner, I'll stick with the Nikon D3100.
Wouldn't that be harmful to the lens since dust would be able to get into it? And congrats, that's cool!
What is a flash ring if I may ask? And I'll definitely look it up!

And can extension tubes attach to to, let's say 18-55mm, and make it look macro with good image quality or?

Thanks! And I know what you mean, I start work in about 20 min aha

Macro Flash ring Here
Try to go for a dedicated macro lens, if you do go for tubes, get a well reviewed set with electronic contact points.
I couldn't quote on image quality, but you will need electronic tube to control the aperture on the lens, I believe

Thanks! If I'm correct, a flash ring takes the place of a flash right?
I'll be getting the Tokina 100mm a while after getting my camera so I know how to use the camera correctly first aha.
So then you would have to get that as well to be able to use the extension tubes?

Thanks for the help!

You can use either. I would do DIY stuff before spending too much on a dedicated macro setup. I'm not very well practiced in that particular discipline so I may not be the most helpful guy... I'm just relaying what I have read in the past.

You can use tubes on any lens I believe... But the glass without manual aperture rings will need electronic tubes to operate properly.

Last edited:
OP, to take photos like the one you linked, all you need is a lens that allow you to do close focus and decent light. For on location and shooting moving subjects, I found that tripod may not work too well, a monopod and handheld works better for me.

As far as focus goes, do not worry about AF too much as long as the in focus indication works. What I usually do for small insect is set the focus to the desire magnification (i.e. 1:1 ratio), half press the shutter button and move the camera back and fro until the camera beep for correct focus then I take the shot.

As far as the light goes, there are a lot of DIY setup that use a regular external flash.

OP, just get a set of extension tubes on Amazon. You'll spend about $60 on them, and you can play with learning macro to your heart's content. Unless you're going to be shooting a bunch of macro, there's no sense in spending $800 on a decent dedicated macro lens.

I shoot all my wedding macros with my 85mm 1.8G and an extension tube. They turn out perfectly fine.

Things to know about Macro:

• "true" macro is in the 1:1 range and dedicated macro lenses are optimized to work in this range.
  • DOF in macro is extremely thin, and focusing is almost always done manually as the camera doesn't know what smidgin of detail YOU are interested in. Live view focusing with the 10x magnification enabled is probably the most accurate way to do this (or do tethered shooting).
  • Magnification at macro scales is such that "usually" you need a tripod to prevent vibration.
  • If you don't use a tripod, you will need a very short exposure (or flash) to minimize subject/camera movement - which is why flashes are very popular with macro.
  • Tubes or extension rings on regular lenses will give you macro-like magnification, but you may get some colour-fringing or uneven flatness, as you are using the regular lenses outside their designed limits.
  • Tubes with true macro lenses usually give excellent results.
  • If you wish to overcome the extremely narrow DOF using techniques such as focus-stacking, you'll also need (in addition to the tripod) a focusing rail (to incrementally move the camera), and a remote trigger (to avoid jiggling the camera away from its intended focus point).
  • If using flash, the usual guidelines apply - diffuse light is better than direct light, side light is better than head-on light, fill light helps define the shapes.

You may want to study some of the macro shots done by other TPF members - some time back there were a number of threads about the exact equipment used.

[*]"true" macro is in the 1:1 range and dedicated macro lenses are optimized to work in this range........

While 1:1 is generally accepted as "macro", the is no official definition of what macro is.

The ham sandwich I just ate for lunch could be called "macro".

Macro Flash ring Here
Try to go for a dedicated macro lens, if you do go for tubes, get a well reviewed set with electronic contact points.
I couldn't quote on image quality, but you will need electronic tube to control the aperture on the lens, I believe

Thanks! If I'm correct, a flash ring takes the place of a flash right?
I'll be getting the Tokina 100mm a while after getting my camera so I know how to use the camera correctly first aha.
So then you would have to get that as well to be able to use the extension tubes?

Thanks for the help!

You can use either. I would do DIY stuff before spending too much on a dedicated macro setup. I'm not very well practiced in that particular discipline so I may not be the most helpful guy... I'm just relaying what I have read in the past.

You can use tubes on any lens I believe... But the glass without manual aperture rings will need electronic tubes to operate properly.

Oh okay thanks! And you are a big help to me! Haha

So if you don't use one the image won't come out good?

OP, to take photos like the one you linked, all you need is a lens that allow you to do close focus and decent light. For on location and shooting moving subjects, I found that tripod may not work too well, a monopod and handheld works better for me.

As far as focus goes, do not worry about AF too much as long as the in focus indication works. What I usually do for small insect is set the focus to the desire magnification (i.e. 1:1 ratio), half press the shutter button and move the camera back and fro until the camera beep for correct focus then I take the shot.

As far as the light goes, there are a lot of DIY setup that use a regular external flash.

What if you're using a D3100 w/ a Tokina 100mm and your hands are shaking a little bit or you happen to move a little? Will that ruin the shot?

Okay gotcha!

I'm not the best handy-man and I don't really know how to build electronics properly so I might just buy a decent flash, or the one recommended, a Yongnuo 560II. Would that be good?

OP, just get a set of extension tubes on Amazon. You'll spend about $60 on them, and you can play with learning macro to your heart's content. Unless you're going to be shooting a bunch of macro, there's no sense in spending $800 on a decent dedicated macro lens.

I shoot all my wedding macros with my 85mm 1.8G and an extension tube. They turn out perfectly fine.

Which kind of extension tubes are the 'best' or most preferred? I read some things about users buying extension tubes and them turning out to be faulty and such so I'm just wondering. Do you just add the extension tubes? I'm planning to use the 18-55mm for a little while so I can get used to using a DSLr, will that work if I add extension tubes on it? Will that ruin the VR on it?

I plan on taking macro photos of insects and flowers and then buying another lens for wildlife which will help out greatly in the future.

• "true" macro is in the 1:1 range and dedicated macro lenses are optimized to work in this range.
  • DOF in macro is extremely thin, and focusing is almost always done manually as the camera doesn't know what smidgin of detail YOU are interested in. Live view focusing with the 10x magnification enabled is probably the most accurate way to do this (or do tethered shooting).
  • Magnification at macro scales is such that "usually" you need a tripod to prevent vibration.
  • If you don't use a tripod, you will need a very short exposure (or flash) to minimize subject/camera movement - which is why flashes are very popular with macro.
  • Tubes or extension rings on regular lenses will give you macro-like magnification, but you may get some colour-fringing or uneven flatness, as you are using the regular lenses outside their designed limits.
  • Tubes with true macro lenses usually give excellent results.
  • If you wish to overcome the extremely narrow DOF using techniques such as focus-stacking, you'll also need (in addition to the tripod) a focusing rail (to incrementally move the camera), and a remote trigger (to avoid jiggling the camera away from its intended focus point).
  • If using flash, the usual guidelines apply - diffuse light is better than direct light, side light is better than head-on light, fill light helps define the shapes.

You may want to study some of the macro shots done by other TPF members - some time back there were a number of threads about the exact equipment used.

Sorry I'm a bit confused since I'm new to photography and haven't even gotten my first DSLr, but, is the DOF essentially the subject being focused on and the 'bokeh' around it?
How long does it take someone who is a amateur/newbie to focus before taking the actual shot?
What do you mean 'very short exposure'? And if you use a flash, will that help a lot on the image quality if you shake a little?
But will they turn out okay? I'm going to get a macro, Tokina 100mm, after I learn how to use my DSLr properly, but I wouldn't mind using some extension tubes to help take macro photos.
So if I use an extension tube on the 100mm it will produce a better image result?
Is that absolutely necessary? In video, made by Thomas Shahan, he just uses a flash, flash diffuser to take very good quality pictures. (Not mentioning the way he flips his lens since I wouldn't want to do that). Would that work a Nikon D3100 camera? Just adding a flash, flash diffuser, and extension tubes? Would that produce similar quality photos?

Thanks and I apologize for all the questions!

[*]"true" macro is in the 1:1 range and dedicated macro lenses are optimized to work in this range........

While 1:1 is generally accepted as "macro", the is no official definition of what macro is.

The ham sandwich I just ate for lunch could be called "macro".

Did not know that, thanks! (not about the ham sandwich haha)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back