Equipment needed for macro photography?

NPatel18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After looking online, I saw that someone took these picture with just a Nikon D3100 and a Tokina 100mm lens. Would that be possible or would you need other equipment?

Also, one other question, I know it's a bit unrelated, but how long does it take to get used to focusing, and taking a picture? The Nikon D3100 isn't the best camera, but it's good for a beginner I heard and it's good to get some experience with. It also doesn't have a built in AF motor so I was just wondering for macro photography, how long does it take you, or in general, to set up a shot, focus and take the shot?

Thanks!

At least for me, when I take a picture of something small with a shallow DoF I almost always tweak the focus ring a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about AF

A good tripod and light/flash might be a good place to start.

At least for me, when I take a picture of something small with a shallow DoF I almost always tweak the focus ring a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about AF

A good tripod and light/flash might be a good place to start.

How much would a flash set you back? And is it really necessary for the quality of the photo? Thanks for the response!

If you want stellar macro shots, you will probably need a flash.

Yongnuo 560II
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.:Amazon:Camera & Photo

Sent from my iPhone

Oh okay thanks! Do you know of a good tripod that can extend from a short height as well? It would be a pain to carry around multiple tripods for such things haha.

Also, do you know of a good tutorial for a beginner macro photographer in general? I'm new to photography as well aha

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
NPatel18 said:
Oh okay thanks! Do you know of a good tripod that can extend from a short height as well? It would be a pain to carry around multiple tripods for such things haha.

Also, do you know of a good tutorial for a beginner macro photographer in general? I'm new to photography as well aha

YouTube is a pretty great teacher. And this forum as well.

I don't know of a tripod. The one I have was given to me, it's nice and light but expensive. <in my sig

Sent from my iPhone

NPatel18 said:

I don't know of a tripod. The one I have was given to me, it's nice and light but expensive. <in my sig

Sent from my iPhone

Ah, okay, sorry for the dumb question aha.
Okay, thanks!

And do you know, roughly, how much a good setup would cost, normally? And is there a good camera body for macro specifically? I saw on a YouTube video that a user used a Pentax K200D camera with multiple extension tubes to get some great shots, a homemade flash diffuser and a flash, reverse prime lens and and a 28 mm lens so I guess that would make it pretty affordable haha

Just a cautionary note to NPatel18 and others interested in macro photography...definitely use one or more extension tubes or a lens designed for macro photography. Do NOT use a cheap, screw-on 'macro' adapter lens like the kind that comes with a corresponding 'telephoto adapter' for less than $50 or so. They are complete, useless junk. Been there, done that!

Just a cautionary note to NPatel18 and others interested in macro photography...definitely use one or more extension tubes or a lens designed for macro photography. Do NOT use a cheap, screw-on 'macro' adapter lens like the kind that comes with a corresponding 'telephoto adapter' for less than $50 or so. They are complete, useless junk. Been there, done that!

I will! Thanks for the heads up!
With the extension tubes, let's say I buy some and attach them to the camera (Nikon D3100) along with the 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera, would that produce almost macro quality images? Or? And can someone give a suggestion to a good set of extension tubes?

I'm also planning to get the Tokina 100mm in the future so haha.

Also, can someone suggest a good tripod that could possibly extend and that's not too expensive? Thanks!

To feed on your question, with the extension tubes that have the electric connectors, will my VR or IS still work?

NPatel18 said:

Sent from my iPhone

Okay, thanks!

And do you know, roughly, how much a good setup would cost, normally? And is there a good camera body for macro specifically? I saw on a YouTube video that a user used a Pentax K200D camera with multiple extension tubes to get some great shots, a homemade flash diffuser and a flash, reverse prime lens and and a 28 mm lens so I guess that would make it pretty affordable haha

Well theres no such thing as a dumb question in my book...
I would spend more than $100 on a tripod, be mindful of the quality of the head, when shooting things that move, you will probably want something flexible and fluid. My RRS is uber nice, I couldn't be more happy with it.
As far as camera bodies... Really any modern DSLR should do the trick.
I have used extension tubes, mine were cheap and worthless, but they did in fact magnify the subject, which is pretty exciting and cool.
I would love to get a reverse ring, but I was just donated a macro dedicated lens by Pixmedic, that I am anxious to try.
I have been constructing a DIY ring flash for macro work, might be worth your while to check out a write-up.

Sorry about the late reply, my shift got pretty busy towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone

Okay, thanks!

I would spend more than $100 on a tripod, be mindful of the quality of the head, when shooting things that move, you will probably want something flexible and fluid. My RRS is uber nice, I couldn't be more happy with it.
I have used extension tubes, mine were cheap and worthless, but they did in fact magnify the subject, which is pretty exciting and cool.
I would love to get a reverse ring, but I was just donated a macro dedicated lens by Pixmedic, that I am anxious to try.
I have been constructing a DIY ring flash for macro work, might be worth your while to check out a write-up.

Haha, that's good, because I thought I had a lot of them.
I'm willing to spend that much and even a little more on something as important as that, but over $200 is slightly pushing it.
Okay! Since I'm a beginner, I'll stick with the Nikon D3100.
Wouldn't that be harmful to the lens since dust would be able to get into it? And congrats, that's cool!
What is a flash ring if I may ask? And I'll definitely look it up!

And can extension tubes attach to to, let's say 18-55mm, and make it look macro with good image quality or?

Thanks! And I know what you mean, I start work in about 20 min aha

Okay, thanks!

I'm willing to spend that much and even a little more on something as important as that, but over $200 is slightly pushing it.
Wouldn't that be harmful to the lens since dust would be able to get into it? And congrats, that's cool!

And can extension tubes attach to to, let's say 18-55mm, and make it look macro with good image quality or?

Macro Flash ring Here
Try to go for a dedicated macro lens, if you do go for tubes, get a well reviewed set with electronic contact points.
I couldn't quote on image quality, but you will need electronic tube to control the aperture on the lens, I believe

Macro Flash ring Here
Try to go for a dedicated macro lens, if you do go for tubes, get a well reviewed set with electronic contact points.
I couldn't quote on image quality, but you will need electronic tube to control the aperture on the lens, I believe

Thanks! If I'm correct, a flash ring takes the place of a flash right?
I'll be getting the Tokina 100mm a while after getting my camera so I know how to use the camera correctly first aha.
So then you would have to get that as well to be able to use the extension tubes?

Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

Back