Equipment Needed for Sunrise Shots?

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm (hopefully) shooting a sunrise tomorrow and i'm just wondering what i should bring with me. i'm gonna be out all day so i want to pack as light as possible. I'm thinking a standard zoom lens (18-55mm kit lens or 28-75mm?), flash, and a tripod should be fine for the day? would there be enough light to allow me to shoot handheld or is the tripod necessary? also... if anyone has any tips to contribute, please feel free :]

Bring the tripod for sure. You never know how the light is going to be and if you get there when it's still dark and want a shot you will need it. The 18-55 should be nice but maybe the 28-75 would be better because you can get that longer reach if you happen to see some wildlife. Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.
TJ

Tripod with the 18-55 is what I would bring (well, I'd bring more, but thats just me hehe). The flash shouldnt be necessary.

Tips? Keep the horizon level, find some foreground interest, put camera in AV mode and set an aperture from 8-16. If you have some stuff really close, maybe play with some DOF.

If you are shooting landscapes, then absolutely use a tripod. Don't bother with a flash. I assume you don't have a GND, so what I would do is bracket your shots +2, 0, -2 (or more) so you can cover the whole dynamic range. Then when you get home blend the shots in Photoshop. I also assume you will be shooting in RAW, if not, do it now.....trust me. Use a low ISO, like 100. Use f/8 to f/16 because most lenses will be at there sharpest there.

Turn the VR off on your camera if it's on a tripod.

Tripod, and the widest lens you have...

Last time I shot sunrises, I got the best results by underexposing a stop or so.

If you really want to travel light, just take the camera with the 18-55mm. Take a spare scarf, jumper or, if you have one, bean bag and use that as your 'tripod.' Chuck it on a wall/car roof/tree stump, sit your camera on top and voila, rudimentary tripod (just make sure you use the timer on your camera!). Far from ideal, but many of my favourite photos have been taken using this method. Saves you lugging a tripod around...

If you really wanna get the best shots you possibly can, then take your tripod.

Tripod for sure. Maybe throw a graduated ND filter in there too...

With the tripod you should also carry a cable release or wireless remote trigger so there's no camera movement for potentially longer exposures.

besides what everyone else has said, maybe something to clean your lens with? I needed something last time I was out, because it got dirty, besides that why not some coffee? Have fun. Can't wait to see your pics soon

haha thanks guys :] i'm up... ready to shoot some sunrises. :p hopefully the tripod wont be too heavy to bring around for the day... if it is then i'll ditch it at the beach :O it's breaking anyway.

:p hopefuly i'll get some nice shots... but no guarentees guys :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back