Equipment suggestions for Italy trip...

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having given up message boards for lent (and subsequently getting ALOT of work done!), I can finally ask the question that's been on my mind for several weeks: What kind of equipment should I get for my Sony A-100 for a 2-week family trip throughout Italy?

The camera came with an 18-200 mm zoom, and I just got a 50mm/f1.7 minolta lens for portrait type stuff. I'm thinking about getting something like a fast 10-20 mm wide angle for the churches and such. I already have a nice flash - which may be pointless as I'm expecting alot of places to be flash-free zones. I'm also not going to worry about dragging a tripod around since this is a vacation and not a photo shoot.

I have a 4gb card and an extra battery already, but would I need another card?

Finally, what's the best bag for the equipment? I recently bought one of those one strap backpack things that you can easily swing to the front, but it's hard to get the equipment out. I've been looking at the lowepro backpacks. Would one of those work?

Thanks for any input!

Hi there, sounds like this should be a good trip, but since it's two weeks and constantly moving, as you say you won't want to be carrying too much. The zoom should cover most shots, and the 50mm prime will do for those 'flash-free' zones in low light. Unfortunately I don't think you will find a fast 10-20mm. If you want wide and fast you're probably looking at something like a 20mm f/1.8. Therefore it might be worth putting up with a tripod, even if it's a small lightweight one.
As for the memory cards, you're moving around a lot so it's not inconceivable that things can go missing. Plus I would generally tend to see a single 4gb card as a lot of 'eggs in one basket'. Personally I'd rather have a couple of 1 or 2gb cards, but that's just me. Otherwise 4gb like good capacity.

Bags are another question of preference. I'm sure backpacks are more comfortable but personally I don't feel so secure with them in crowded areas since it seems like it would be a lot easier to steal from a backpack than a shoulder bag, plus I just find I can get to my camera quicker from a shoulder bag. But yes it can be uncomfortable carrying a shoulder bag around all day if you don't pack 'rationally' i.e. only take what you need.

I just got back from Italy last night. I brought my Canon Eos Rebel with a 28-100mm lens which wasn't ideal but thats all I have. I brought my packback and instead of putting it over my back I put it in the front which I found was a very nice set up espicially since I kept having to switch rolls. Also by putting it in the front, I felt more secured knowing where my camera was at all times. Another benefit was that it was very comfortable. Instead of always wearing my camera, I could simply open my backpack and lay my camera inside but when it was time to shoot I just whipped it out. I still put my camera over my neck just as precaution. I would also suggest bringing a light blanket of some sort acting like a cushion(I just took the blanket from the plane) and your camera bag of course. Depending on where you go, I suggest a wide lenses as well espicially in Florence. I suggest you climb to the top of the Dome or visit the Piazza Michelangelo. Wonderful views. I normally don't like flashed pictures and more mueseums won't even allow pictures. If you visit the Sisteen Chapel they don't allow flashes but people flash anyways which I find disgusting so please don't flash. A lot of the times the churches are pretty dark so I had a very hard time taking pictures with a set film speed, but digital I think your better off.They're plenty of walls for you to lean on. I would also bring a poncho in case it rains. I felt like ponchos worked the best due to its simplicity. My jacket got a little bit fussy espicially with the random showers. Do not forget your converter for your charger as well. When buying one, make sure your charger won't blow the circut which is pretty common in older hotels. I rode around in a bus a lot but thats when I saw some of the best scenery so try not to fall asleep during the ride. If you do run out of memory, don't worry they are plenty of shops(in the bigger cities) where you can buy extra memory for a pretty good price too. If you have any other questions or if I didn't explain something clearly feel free to PM me. I hope you'll have lot of fun in Italy like I did.

(I just took the blanket from the plane)
That is called stealing. Why not just knock down another tourist and take their stuff?

Make sure your charger won't blow the circut which is pretty common in older hotels.
Chargers use a tiny amount of current but you should make certain that your battery charger will use the voltage in your destination. (virtually all are 100-240)

Bring extra memory and a Monopod... the extra stability will help and isn't as cumbersome.

We also just recently got back from Italy. I had with me my K100D, 18-55, fast 50, and 77. The 18-55 (on the wide end) and the 77 saw the most use. Any indoor area with canvas paintings or frescoes are no-flash zones and some, such as the Sistine, are no-photo zones. I also had a total of 3 GB of memory on a few cards and dumped to my laptop in the evening. Also, my battery charger (Energizer 15-min) did fry despite being attached to a converter (although it was a cheap one).

Have fun, see lots and eat as much gelato as you can stomach.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back