"Escape from The Dollhouse"

SHE is named ADAM! ;) (not that it really matters, but it is important for the proper emotional context)
"She" is still a proper pronoun, regardless of the model's gender. You could use either really in this case and it would have the same context. And Adam goes by Vivikka as well.

When referring to a male.. SHE is not the "proper pronoun"! HE would be. And the differences between HE and SHE will evoke different emotional responses in different people... especially when associated with different attire, or imagery. Just trying to "keep it real!"
I won't argue with you about the watermark, but I will certainly about this. If a person goes by "SHE", then that is their proper pronoun.

Wait I am confused here... why do they make black balloons?

Funny you say she looks like she is standing, because she was standing on a milk crate. I took two exposures of this scene; one with the model and one without. I n processing I just removed the milk crate and replaced it with the portion of the scene that was where the milk crate should have been. Since the model was in heels it was really difficult to get a good "dangling" look without loosing balance. I feel like I could have done better on a number of aspects in this photo, but I'm still really happy with it. This was actually my first time doing a two image composite.

Interesting! I assumed she (I will continue to use "she" since, if I am reading this right, your model is somewhat fluid on this point and is dressed as a woman here) was standing on the rubble, I didn't even notice your hard work to remove the crate ;) The area around the feet is ambiguous and jumbled, so it's not clear what's going on.

I think possibly a pose with the hips not level might help, one foot on a milk crate, the other dangling down the side to tilt the hips and make at least one leg genuinely "hang", might be a useful trick here. This is not something I have tried, though, so I'm just thinking through some ideas.

"She" is still a proper pronoun, regardless of the model's gender. You could use either really in this case and it would have the same context. And Adam goes by Vivikka as well.

When referring to a male.. SHE is not the "proper pronoun"! HE would be. And the differences between HE and SHE will evoke different emotional responses in different people... especially when associated with different attire, or imagery. Just trying to "keep it real!"
I won't argue with you about the watermark, but I will certainly about this. If a person goes by "SHE", then that is their proper pronoun.

I will agree to that.. but nothing that was said prior to this indicated that Adam refers to him/her self as a "She". The attire could be just a costume... not a lifestyle statement.

Funny you say she looks like she is standing, because she was standing on a milk crate. I took two exposures of this scene; one with the model and one without. I n processing I just removed the milk crate and replaced it with the portion of the scene that was where the milk crate should have been. Since the model was in heels it was really difficult to get a good "dangling" look without loosing balance. I feel like I could have done better on a number of aspects in this photo, but I'm still really happy with it. This was actually my first time doing a two image composite.

Interesting! I assumed she (I will continue to use "she" since, if I am reading this right, your model is somewhat fluid on this point and is dressed as a woman here) was standing on the rubble, I didn't even notice your hard work to remove the crate ;) The area around the feet is ambiguous and jumbled, so it's not clear what's going on.

I think possibly a pose with the hips not level might help, one foot on a milk crate, the other dangling down the side to tilt the hips and make at least one leg genuinely "hang", might be a useful trick here. This is not something I have tried, though, so I'm just thinking through some ideas.
Thank you, I appreciate your respect on the gender subject!

Like another poster pointed out, taking more time to put this scene together would have really helped make this look better and translate the idea better. Hindsight is such a *****! D:
And those are some ideas I will utilize in the future with similar shots. I don't plan on recreating this shot or concept ever, but I do plan on using the technique again.

I will agree to that.. but nothing that was said prior to this indicated that Adam refers to him/her self as a "She". The attire could be just a costume... not a lifestyle statement.
Pointing out their gender to someone and saying they shouldn't refer to them as a "she" was kind of unnecessary though.

Like another poster pointed out, taking more time to put this scene together would have really helped make this look better and translate the idea better. Hindsight is such a *****! D:
And those are some ideas I will utilize in the future with similar shots. I don't plan on recreating this shot or concept ever, but I do plan on using the technique again.

Best thing you can do. It took me a very long time to not rush thing during shooting. Often i'd get home and kick myself for not taking the 10 seconds to move a branch or adjust someone's hair.

But I guess when the law is bearing down on you, you have to make hay while the sun is shining!

40th and 50th birthday parties.

My only comment that hasn't been said is her arms - her arms TOTALLY kill the hanging effect for me. Far less "hanged to death" and more "pretending to hang to death." I understand it wouldn't be easy to do that in heels on a milk crate, but that's my $.02.

If DOF was more slim, it could be a more attractive picture, but I like your editing style. Also, the watermark, I get where you're coming from for the web sharing basis, but when I opened up this page I saw balloons, then a pretend graffitti watermark. It turns a lot of people off and kind of sets the mood for the photo early if you're not careful. I'd make it more simple, and give it more opacity.

Whether that counts for anything or not is up to you. Great idea, though. Good model ;)

Best thing you can do. It took me a very long time to not rush thing during shooting. Often i'd get home and kick myself for not taking the 10 seconds to move a branch or adjust someone's hair.

But I guess when the law is bearing down on you, you have to make hay while the sun is shining!
Yes, exactly! I'm getting better at that attention to detail, but sometimes it slips past me because I am being hasty. To make things worse, the balloons started popping about five minutes after we started shooting, which definitely caught the attention of the security guard. We made sure we were completely ready before getting to the location so we could set up and get shooting immediately, but we had to leave almost right away!

I figured this was some type of composite, but even with the removed milk crate she still looks like she's standing on an invisible one. I can't remember who, but there's a member on this forum who is REALLY good at these kind of shots and might be willing to give you some pointers.

40th and 50th birthday parties.

My only comment that hasn't been said is her arms - her arms TOTALLY kill the hanging effect for me. Far less "hanged to death" and more "pretending to hang to death." I understand it wouldn't be easy to do that in heels on a milk crate, but that's my $.02.

If DOF was more slim, it could be a more attractive picture, but I like your editing style. Also, the watermark, I get where you're coming from for the web sharing basis, but when I opened up this page I saw balloons, then a pretend graffitti watermark. It turns a lot of people off and kind of sets the mood for the photo early if you're not careful. I'd make it more simple, and give it more opacity.

Whether that counts for anything or not is up to you. Great idea, though. Good model ;)
Point well taken!

Oh well if you took two exposures, add a linear gradient blur to the non model shot to add a faux DOF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back