Ever seen an albino gator?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not super exciting, just thought it was interesting. A very rare sight. Although I do believe there is a different name for these particular alligators other then albino. I believe true albinos have red eyes. These gators have blue. Even though they are presented as white, they have more of a yellowish hue to them. This shot was taken through glass.

Albino gator by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Angel, you are right, they are not really albino, but I believe, they are more properly termed leucistic - File:Blanco-leucistic-alligator-Houston-Zoo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - a condition characterized by reduced pigmentation in animals. Unlike albinism , it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin - Leucism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it seems that it is a condition found in a lot of different animals, birds, snakes and even some fish. The reason I am aware of this, is because this spring we have had reports of a leucistic magpie and a leucistic female mallard in and around the city. I don't have any pictures of them, as I was unable to find them in the places they were reported.

WesternGuy said:
Angel, you are right, they are not really albino, but I believe, they are more properly termed leucistic - File:Blanco-leucistic-alligator-Houston-Zoo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - a condition characterized by reduced pigmentation in animals. Unlike albinism , it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin - Leucism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it seems that it is a condition found in a lot of different animals, birds, snakes and even some fish. The reason I am aware of this, is because this spring we have had reports of a leucistic magpie and a leucistic female mallard in and around the city. I don't have any pictures of them, as I was unable to find them in the places they were reported.

Thanks for the info!!!

The houston zoo has a all white gator too. It doesnt have red eyes though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk

Actually I have! The Wildlife World Zoo near Phoenix has one, or at least they did a year or so ago. Your shot is better than mine though.

Angel, I keep on looking at your picture, and I finally realized what was bothering me. In the upper right there is a white something that keeps on grabbing my eye. I cropped it out on my screen, and it does make a difference. Try it, I'm sure you will like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back