Every noob should read this!!!!!

I really liked the book...there is one thing that bothers me though. He said there are several correct exposures, but only one creatively correct...he kept going on about the creatively correct exposture...it kind of bugged me. There are lots of ways too look at things and I think many ways to creatively look too. I know what he was getting at but it bugged me a little...you know, being an art form. I guess I dont see the words creative and correct going together. I do know he was trying to get people to think outside the box and remove themselfs from the "perfect' picture.

I really liked the book...there is one thing that bothers me though. He said there are several correct exposures, but only one creatively correct...he kept going on about the creatively correct exposture...it kind of bugged me. There are lots of ways too look at things and I think many ways to creatively look too. I know what he was getting at but it bugged me a little...you know, being an art form. I guess I dont see the words creative and correct going together. I do know he was trying to get people to think outside the box and remove themselfs from the "perfect' picture.
I think what he meant by that was the shot you are trying to achieve is the only creatively correct exposure

Ok I have heard this a hundred times, but until now I didn't care. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I was in the hospital 4 the past 3 days and read this whole book. B4 I read it I thought I had photography down. Now I really do! A monkey can take a good picture after reading this book!! All I will say is, weather you think you know how to take a pic, or have no clue how to use ISO, Aperture ,Shutter speed, or your light meter this will make anyone who reads it a better Photographer! I think a majority of questions on here end up with someone recommending this book. I have had it for a while now but never had the time to actually read it. Everything I thought i was doing rite I was doing wrong! (at least in some way!) Anyone who owns a camera should have a copy of this book! Anyway, thanks to anyone and everyone who has ever recommended this book!

I would have to agree. I had been taking photos a long time, was decent enough at composition and thought I had a good knowledge of lighting but could never quite remember the details about exposure. After the book was recommended, I bought it immediately and did as some of you have -- read it ravenously. I still pick it up as a refresher or sometimes just for some added inspiration. I agree -- EVERY beginner should have this book.

Cheers,
Diane​

I have the book also and have to agree that it's a most excellent book to have. What other books could be considered as "must reads" for newcomers like myself?

Gawonii, I'm not sure if you use a digital camera or not because the recommendation I have is specifically for digital photography. I really found The Better Photo Guide to DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY by Jim Miotke a very useful book for beginners.

He opens the book with some digital camera basics. Each chapter is like a lesson and he gives you visual examples of the best result plus a few of the ones doing some experimentation or some of the less desirable ones so you can see the differences he's talking about. At the end of each lesson/chapter he gives the reader a fun assignment related to the lesson so you can go and practice what he just described. I loved that -- it was like having a good quality home study course.

His tone is also very encouraging rather than talking down or getting too pro on the reader. That's another thing I liked about this particular book.

Cheers,

Diane

Thanks for that Diane, I'll add this one to my library. I like books styled like that as they are usually the most helpful.

amazon said it wouldn't be in till march 28th? the local bookstore has it in stock though so i am going to pick it up after work.

thank you for the recommendation...heading to the book store tomorrow for it. Im very new to this but enjoy taking pics =)

Well, I ordered the book on your recommendation, it came in on Wednesday, I finished it this morning (Saturday) and have just taken about 20 shots in Manual mode, metering properly. I now understand the principles for the first time ever and know why I am changing aperture and shutter speed. It's hilarious how ignorant I was, ha ha ha.

Thank you for posting this.

Please bump it back up for the benefit of others. This was the best money I have spent on Camera equipment.

I'm away to read it again.

Well, I ordered the book on your recommendation, it came in on Wednesday, I finished it this morning (Saturday) and have just taken about 20 shots in Manual mode, metering properly. I now understand the principles for the first time ever and know why I am changing aperture and shutter speed. It's hilarious how ignorant I was, ha ha ha.

Thank you for posting this.

Please bump it back up for the benefit of others. This was the best money I have spent on Camera equipment.

I'm away to read it again.
don't feel ignorant i was the exact same way b4 i read this book. I had a idea of what I was doing, but absolutely no idea why!

I'm heading to amazon now to order it. Thanks

Ok I have heard this a hundred times, but until now I didn't care. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I was in the hospital 4 the past 3 days and read this whole book. B4 I read it I thought I had photography down. Now I really do! A monkey can take a good picture after reading this book!! All I will say is, weather you think you know how to take a pic, or have no clue how to use ISO, Aperture ,Shutter speed, or your light meter this will make anyone who reads it a better Photographer! I think a majority of questions on here end up with someone recommending this book. I have had it for a while now but never had the time to actually read it. Everything I thought i was doing rite I was doing wrong! (at least in some way!) Anyone who owns a camera should have a copy of this book! Anyway, thanks to anyone and everyone who has ever recommended this book! If anything It at least made my stay at the hospital Well worth it!!! I'm already reading it a second time, and picking up even more this time off it!
:hail:ALL BOW TO THE AUTHOR OF A GREAT BOOK:hail:

Most reactions

Back