exactly what makes a great photo?

I'm going to chime in here. I see a lot of good answers and advice but I don't see the most important factor mentioned.

You have to have "it'. If you don't have it, you most likely never will. Talents ARE something that can be discovered and exploited.... but you have to have "it" in you. You can't force a talent if you don't already have that bug inside you already.

For example: You want to learn to play guitar. You buy a 1970 Les Paul, a 2x12 Marshall stack and an ADA head. Why don't you sound like Jimmy Page?
Same as painting for art. You have to have that vein of talent in you ; it can't be forced.

A friend of mine has been playing guitar for almost 20 years ; sounds like it's his first year still. He knows all the chords and scales, but.. he doesn't have that "it" in him.

You can read all the books, all the websites, study the masters, but if you don't have that talent for composition in you, you'll never get where you want. Technical knowledge is a major factor, but not the most important. Any decent photog knows that a pro can take an awesome image no matter the medium, it's got nothing to do with anything but having that ability to SEE an image in a scene before you take it. Having the tech know how only assists you in capturing your vision.

Instead of asking ridiculous questions - here's a hint, there IS no BEST photographer - get out and shoot. You should be learning something EVERYTIME you pull out your camera. If you're not, you're doing it wrong.

I'm going to chime in here. I see a lot of good answers and advice but I don't see the most important factor mentioned.

You have to have "it'. If you don't have it, you most likely never will. Talents ARE something that can be discovered and exploited.... but you have to have "it" in you. You can't force a talent if you don't already have that bug inside you already.

For example: You want to learn to play guitar. You buy a 1970 Les Paul, a 2x12 Marshall stack and an ADA head. Why don't you sound like Jimmy Page?
Same as painting for art. You have to have that vein of talent in you ; it can't be forced.

A friend of mine has been playing guitar for almost 20 years ; sounds like it's his first year still. He knows all the chords and scales, but.. he doesn't have that "it" in him.

You can read all the books, all the websites, study the masters, but if you don't have that talent for composition in you, you'll never get where you want. Technical knowledge is a major factor, but not the most important. Any decent photog knows that a pro can take an awesome image no matter the medium, it's got nothing to do with anything but having that ability to SEE an image in a scene before you take it. Having the tech know how only assists you in capturing your vision.

Instead of asking ridiculous questions - here's a hint, there IS no BEST photographer - get out and shoot. You should be learning something EVERYTIME you pull out your camera. If you're not, you're doing it wrong.

When starting out, your keeper rate might be small. If you put in the time, study the work of great painters and photographers, learn, critically review your work, have others give you feedback and practice, practice, practice, your keeper rate will continue to go up and you will be pleased with your portfolio of best images. Maybe you can't learn "it", but you can get good enough to make a living at it if you really want to.

I don't have a vintage Les Paul, but I like my Kiesel Aires VI and along with a Fender Hot Rot Deluxe IV and with a couple of pedals I get amazing tone. I found a very good guitarist with many years of touring experience to teach me. He wasn't a headliner, but excellent with rhythms and solid with lead and knows music theory inside and out - his degree is in music. With his help and a lot of practice time, I'm getting pretty good. I see improvement week after week. Can I play like Eric Clapton, no, but I'm pretty good at playing a lot of his blues songs. I'll keep at photography and guitar for my own enjoyment even though I'll never be famous.
Kiesel Aires VI 800x1200 (1 of 1).jpg

Missed my point entirely, tbh.

Did you omit the part about my friend and his playing? Perfect example. He wants SO bad to be a good guitar player, but he has ZERO actual musical talent. Again.. he's been at it for 20 years, still sounds like he just picked it up last week.

ALL talents are the same. You can only be taught the mechanics. Whether or not you 'get it', is 100% on you. You can be taught the relation between shutter / iso / aperture and be taught the rules of compositions. You can't be taught HOW to put that together on any scene that tickles your fancy. You have to be able to see that before you even pull your camera out.

You can know all the chords, and all the scales, however, if you don't know how to arrange those to create you own composition ( that is musically correct ), all you're doing is going through the motions. It's why there are cover bands, honestly. Not talented enough to write their OWN music, but good enough to mimic another's.

Same thing with a camera. Buy a top line, full framer. You can take an image that is exposed correctly and follows a rule of thirds ( let's say ). Still doesn't mean it's a great photo , or even a good one, in any way shape or form.

And the opposite side - I can make a $50 El Degas Sears guitar sound the same as a Steve Vai Jem Universe. That's not because I just know the chords and scales, right?

So to actually respond to your post, no. No, I don't believe that 'just practice' is enough.

:: SIDE NOTE ::

I've got a 7 seven string ESP strat with ( of course ) EMG pickups and a reissue ( 50th year anniversary ) of the '61 BB King black on white solid body Flying V. Man, the tone of that V is unlike anything I've ever played ; sustain for days :). I play ( live ) through a Fender Deluxe 2 x 12 Tube - strictly for volume - backed on a POD by Line6. Great little studio tool that POD is. Can go direct to any medium and the output is studio quality, zero hiss.

Missed my point entirely, tbh.

Did you omit the part about my friend and his playing? Perfect example. He wants SO bad to be a good guitar player, but he has ZERO actual musical talent. Again.. he's been at it for 20 years, still sounds like he just picked it up last week.

ALL talents are the same. You can only be taught the mechanics. Whether or not you 'get it', is 100% on you. You can be taught the relation between shutter / iso / aperture and be taught the rules of compositions. You can't be taught HOW to put that together on any scene that tickles your fancy. You have to be able to see that before you even pull your camera out.

You can know all the chords, and all the scales, however, if you don't know how to arrange those to create you own composition ( that is musically correct ), all you're doing is going through the motions. It's why there are cover bands, honestly. Not talented enough to write their OWN music, but good enough to mimic another's.

Same thing with a camera. Buy a top line, full framer. You can take an image that is exposed correctly and follows a rule of thirds ( let's say ). Still doesn't mean it's a great photo , or even a good one, in any way shape or form.

And the opposite side - I can make a $50 El Degas Sears guitar sound the same as a Steve Vai Jem Universe. That's not because I just know the chords and scales, right?

So to actually respond to your post, no. No, I don't believe that 'just practice' is enough.

:: SIDE NOTE ::

I've got a 7 seven string ESP strat with ( of course ) EMG pickups and a reissue ( 50th year anniversary ) of the '61 BB King black on white solid body Flying V. Man, the tone of that V is unlike anything I've ever played ; sustain for days :). I play ( live ) through a Fender Deluxe 2 x 12 Tube - strictly for volume - backed on a POD by Line6. Great little studio tool that POD is. Can go direct to any medium and the output is studio quality, zero hiss.
Few people can be a Muhammad Ali, Beethoven, or Dali. If some bands copy other's music and make themselves and others happy, then that's what it's about. If we can take pictures of our family and frame the shots and give them as gifts and watch the recipients smile with pleasure, isn't that what it's about? If we find pleasure in creating things that please us and improving even a little due to practice, what's better than that?

You are creating the comparison that tells people that their work is not valuable because it doesn't meet your standards. The fact is most people are just regular folks getting along in this world. Most of us will never be president, have a billion dollars, or take pictures like Ansel Adams. That doesn't mean we can't do the best we can and be proud of the results.

Totally missed the point, again.

The question asked by the OP was... "exactly, what makes a great photograph"

The answer isn't one that can be given. Just because TECHNICALLY, you did every thing right DOESN'T mean it's a great photo.
Practice DOESN'T make perfect. You HAVE to have the talent in you already. You can't be TAUGHT talent.

You have it , or you don't.

Here's a REALLY good example:

The latest world astronomy photo contest was won by a photographer who took a VERY unconventional photo. 95%+ of astro photographers HATE IT. They don't like the fact that he used really simple equipment to get a stellar photo that had never been done before.

This photo followed ZERO guidelines for what is considered "proper" astro photography. Everything this guy did, technically, was 100% AGAINST proper procedure, yet, he still won the contest and $10 grand.

Get my point, now?

Last edited:
One of my elder words of wisdom "even a blind pig finds an acorn in the woods every now and then". Sometimes there's a fine line between two images that are technically correct, but one stands above the other. A good example is the V-J Day in Times Square, by Alfred Eisenstaedt. Just about everone knows the classic image of the sailor and nurse kissing in Times Square, but did you know that there was another photograph of the "same" scene taken at the "same" time from a different angle by another photographer? Most don't because other than a one time release in the NY Times it never caught on. One became iconic in history, the other not.

As said earlier images that portray emotion, or tell a story elevate the image. I'd also add opportunity. Had the photographers been on another corner, would they have captured an equally impressive image? As to talent, no doubt it helps, but it doesn't guarantee results. As pointed out just being born with talent does nothing without opportunity. Likewise all the raw talent in the world goes no where without skill that come with training.

One of my elder words of wisdom "even a blind pig finds an acorn in the woods every now and then". Sometimes there's a fine line between two images that are technically correct, but one stands above the other. A good example is the V-J Day in Times Square, by Alfred Eisenstaedt. Just about everone knows the classic image of the sailor and nurse kissing in Times Square, but did you know that there was another photograph of the "same" scene taken at the "same" time from a different angle by another photographer? Most don't because other than a one time release in the NY Times it never caught on. One became iconic in history, the other not.

As said earlier images that portray emotion, or tell a story elevate the image. I'd also add opportunity. Had the photographers been on another corner, would they have captured an equally impressive image? As to talent, no doubt it helps, but it doesn't guarantee results. As pointed out just being born with talent does nothing without opportunity. Likewise all the raw talent in the world goes no where without skill that come with training.
Yes, God plays a hand in our results as well. Accepting that it came out the way it was suppose to and you did the best you could relieves a lot of angst and misery and "what ifs". Look at your pictures, pat yourself on the shoulder and say, "Wow. I like the way it came out. Even better than last years."

These days, marketing plays a roll, as well.

Boy, I've read some drivel in this place.

Oh, very good then.

The most important element of a good photo is the ability of the photograph to communicate with the viewer. It should be able to tell a story through its composition, lighting, and most importantly its subject matter.

Since a great photo is a matter of opinion, it is easy to go down a path that no one, or very few, like. Or, a path that the folks have seen too many of.

If, like an impressionist artist, and you have is a small but high dollar following. you may be okay. If you crawl thought the snakes and underbrush to catch a shot of some unique wildlife activities you may have a saleable product.

If you just take photographs, you are literally up against the world; or at least every amateur photographer with post processing capabilities. So why do some photographer develop a market for their product? They are good at what they do and they are generally great at self promotion and driven by their art.

There is also often a fair amount of luck, being at the right place at the right time.

Good Luck

a "great photo" just talks to you. It doesnt say much but it leaves a little hit on the back of your head that you cant really get rid of.

At work at breaks i sit by big windows, 20 x 30 feet overlooking a patio area with decorative grasses placed here and there. Theres a few grasses that NEED to be photographed... they just say something to me for some reason that works.

Yet for someone else, they wouldnt be more then average landscaping photo.

an obnoxious gimmick, preferably one that’s overly sentimental or cliche, bright colors and shot under good natural lighting that you don’t actually have any photographic or artistic control over - but will gladly take credit for nonetheless.

In fact, it doesn’t really matter what you’re photographing, so long as it’s shot between may and September between 5-7 PM under partly cloudy skies, ideally just after a light rainstorm.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back