Expanding to off camera strobes

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I liked the effects I was getting with the SB-800 on camera, and then I started playing with it off camera bouncing and what not and that led me into learning more about it. I then wanted to go and purchase an extra SB-800 and a couple of umbrellas and stands to get into it a little more seriously.

I was discussing this with my dad when he said "well before you spend anything, why not try my setup?" Now I knew my dad was an avid photographer during my childhood growing up, but I recalled no such equipment. Thirty minutes later, we had two 110 volt strobes with modeling lights setup on light stands with umbrellas. The first hour was spent battling Nikon's CLS against the strobes but the solution was to finally go 100% manual... thats when the pics really started to come out quite nice.

An hour later, we were up to a 5 strobe setup and I was having a blast! At that level, its all about minute nuances and custom setting of each flash's power and location precisely based on the effect you want. The intricacies were facinating!

How come no one here told me how much fun studio setups could be?

By the end of the day and some 400 pics later, I was feeling very confident with this setup and getting consistantly good results. Funniest moment was when I went off on a tangent and started pulling an "Austin Powers" photoshoot on the bananas that were on the table... I had the family in stitches!

Ok, so it wasn't one of those serious moments of reflection to attempt photographic perfection, but I've added another aspect of photography to my repertiore, and having a grand time learning something completely new. :)

Picture of the Austin Powers banana shoot:

1916780029_77c3a60ece.jpg

Strobes are so much fun.

If you haven't yet...check out this site http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
start with 'lighting 101'

I read that before as part of my intro to deciding if I wanted to get into "strobing" or not. Definately a plethora of info there and very well laid out. I've aslo joined the flickr strobists forum for a bit more reading.

Thanks Mike!

Looks like your old man has a studio in the making, save you a lot of moolah if you decide to carry on. H

I just got off the phone... I have a friend who's parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary who unashamedly begged me to do some pics there for him. I strongly suggested that he get a real professional who had tons of experience, but he was so adamant that I finally accepted. So, in a strange turn of events, becuase I am getting paid for this (a pittance, I assure you), I suppose I cannot refer to myself as an entusiastic amateur any longer, but an enthusiastic "kinda-sorta" semi-pro, I suppose? Naah! "kinda-sorta" amateur seems to be the most truthful. :lol:

As for decisions, my father's decision was made when he saw how much fun I was having and he gave me carte blanche to use it all for this event this weekend, after which if I wanted it, it was mine.

I am quite touched, because "carrying on" this tradition now means a something a little more to me than picking up the same hobby as my father, but really using his setup to improve my results at this event.

I'll have to post pics of this in a few days for some brutally honest critique. I've been wanting to do that for a while... now I have a good reason to. :)

What a nice day... first my 30mm F/1.4 Sigma came in and then this phone call. Its a good day!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back