What's new

exploded view

KenC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
5,699
Reaction score
1,472
Location
Philadelphia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this may have a better title, but this is the best I could do ...
 

Attachments

  • $sign 111112-2.webp
    $sign 111112-2.webp
    726.1 KB · Views: 72
I guess I am just not an abstract kind of person. I missed the bus on this one. Sorry!
 
I think this is a really really interesting idea. For some reason I look at it and think "Man Ray" although I am damned if I can think of anything he did that even slightly resembles this.

The concept is great -- I love the idea of notices that are now gone, and I am madly in love with the duality here, the graphical/abstract appearance coupled with the implied narrative and reality of the actual things in the frame. This particular photograph is, I think, moderately strong. It's a fairly strong graphic, basically, but I feel like there's a much stronger photograph of this exact type that could be made. I think that strength would come from simultaneously pushing both ends -- stronger graphically (more symmetry and/or geometry, stronger colors) and stronger in terms of the implied narrative (not sure -- maybe larger scraps of the leftover notices? fragments of text or images remaining?)

What a great surface these things were taped to.

Fantastic "seeing" as they say -- please, please, go back there and take more of these as the notices come and go.
 
I think the title is utterly lousy. The picture, OTOH, is like a B- one for you.

I'd call it "Cornered" or something like that. Or maybe, "The Secret Philadelphia Tapes".

I enjoy seeing these types of snippets of the everyday world...I shoot pics like this myself when I see them...sometimes with Instagram...
 
Thanks to all for the comments.

Molitor: I understand what you're getting at, but these are never perfect because they are captures of randomly occurring patterns. If one were to paint or draw an abstract, or create one by compositing materials, the parts would be arranged for the best composition, color. etc. I like presenting some of my finds that are good in these ways, although not perfect, and I find it amazing that one can find an abstract that is even this good and which was not arranged that way by anyone. I agree with Derrel that this is not one of my best of this sort of thing, although I'd probably give it a B+. In any event, I will continue to prowl for these images and I'm certain eventually to return to most of the spots where I found these. This one in particular was not quite ten blocks from my house.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom