Exposing correctly but having black backgrounds

Hi, as the author of both photos, I can tell you that the lighting was not photoshopped. Both shots were outside, two Nikon speedlights were used with soft boxes and the camera flash was set to fire them. One light was located on the left at a low angle behind the mouse, the other on the right higher and slightly to the front. The background (dark) was in actual fact a guys coat that was with me. The other, the lights were set up on the right and on the left, but this time they were at the same height and directly in line with the mouse, again the camera remotely set them off and the green background was natural fields. I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens. Hope this helps...... Alan

Hi, as the author of both photos, I can tell you that the lighting was not photoshopped. Both shots were outside, two Nikon speedlights were used with soft boxes and the camera flash was set to fire them. One light was located on the left at a low angle behind the mouse, the other on the right higher and slightly to the front. The background (dark) was in actual fact a guys coat that was with me. The other, the lights were set up on the right and on the left, but this time they were at the same height and directly in line with the mouse, again the camera remotely set them off and the green background was natural fields. I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens. Hope this helps...... Alan

Thanks Alan and don't be a stranger to TPF :) Hopefully this is a welcome aboard!

Thanks Alan, great to know. One more question, why did the mouse stay, is he a pet? I love the photo by the way which is my I originally asked here how people thought I could be done

i win.

Thanks Alan, great to know. One more question, why did the mouse stay, is he a pet? I love the photo by the way which is my I originally asked here how people thought I could be done

Hi, no it was a wild mouse (well 3 really) we caught them and 'staged' the shots then released them again. They were incredibly small and very very quick so there were lots of rejects. We only kept them for 5 minutes so we did not cause them any stress

Most reactions

New Topics

Back