exposure and lighting

angel243243

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have moved this from the 'critique' section.

I guess the first thing to ask...is do you understand how shutter speed, aperture and ISO work together to give you the exposure? Do you know how the camera's built-in meter works?
These are things that you should know when you use Manual mode.

Even when you do know these things, there is nothing wrong with using the automatic modes...especially the priority modes Av and Tv.

Using manual mode will help you learn and understand...so if you want to use it...that's great. First, you need to know that every situation is different...so there is no way that we could give you suggestion for settings to use...because we are not in the light that you are in. The good news is that you don't have to randomly guess. Your camera has a built-in meter and you can use it. When you activate the meter, half press the shutter button...the viewfinder and the screen on the back will show you a scale with a needle. That's the meter reading. In manual mode, you will need to adjust the settings until the needle is on the zero mark in the centre...well that's a good place to start anyway. If you use an auto/priority mode, the camera will give you settings that centre the needle.

So that is your base exposure and sometimes it's the best exposure. So there you go. If you want to overexposure, then adjust the settings so that the needle is to the right. Underexposing will have the needle to the left.

With digital, you can shoot, check, adjust and shoot again. I suggest setting the camera to display the histogram and learn how to read and understand it. SEE HERE

That's really all there is to it. Of course, nothing is really right or wrong...if you want it darker, then underexpose...if you want it brighter, overexpose.

Overcast days are good because the light is soft and there the shadows are not dark...if there are any shadows at all.

Question: When using a speed light with the camera, does the camera built in meter still work the same way?? ie. if its over exposed it will be all the way to the right etc. ?? Im asking because up until now i've been practicing without a speed light and last weekend I shot a few shots, it was cloudy and everything looked so dull and blaah, but a lot of my images also came out overexposed and i was under the impression that the meter doesn't work the same with the flash, any suggestions how to best shoot in this location,

also, question 2: im shooting a wedding next sat and i also noticed that inside the gazebo its dark, so lets say the couple is standing there but outside its bright and sunny, what is the best way to take that picture?

Thank you !!

see sample pics here

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...d99f69f1cff12f12eb75ef82b5&sid=1AaMmrJuzbsWEa

Question: When using a speed light with the camera, does the camera built in meter still work the same way?? ie. if its over exposed it will be all the way to the right etc. ?? Im asking because up until now i've been practicing without a speed light and last weekend I shot a few shots, it was cloudy and everything looked so dull and blaah, but a lot of my images also came out overexposed and i was under the impression that the meter doesn't work the same with the flash, any suggestions how to best shoot in this location,
It depends on the camera and the speedlight. If the camera and speedlight and both are capable of communicating exposure information then normally the meter will work properly. However with inexpensive non-intelligent speedlights that are manual only then, no, they will not meter properly.

What equipment are you using?

also, question 2: im shooting a wedding next sat and i also noticed that inside the gazebo its dark, so lets say the couple is standing there but outside its bright and sunny, what is the best way to take that picture?
Meter on the subject and not the background, use fill flash, use reflectors, use bounce flash. Best, use all of them.

There's no way to say this without coming off harsh, so I'm just going to say it. I sincerely hope that you aren't going to be the only photographer there. After looking at some of the photos in your album you are a LONG way off being the primary photographer at a wedding. Most of the ones I looked at were leaning to the right significantly, many were grossly out of focus, over-exposed, under-exposed, and everything else. You don't have a grasp on the fundamentals of photography or composition and most of the shots I saw were just really bad.

I mention this because if you signed a contract to provide professional services and fail to live up to the expectations of that contract you can wind up in court. A wedding is expected to be a once-in-a-lifetime event and the wedding couple are not going to be happy with photographs of the quality I see in your album.

I am afraid that if you don't know how to deal with the mixed lighting situation that we can't teach you in the time you have before the wedding. These are things you are expected to know as a wedding photographer long before you take on a wedding, so I am going to assume that this is a favor for a friend-which I would still caution you about STRONGLY. It can cost you a friendship if they are expecting something you can't deliver.

ANYHOW... I don't know what mode you are shooting in, but I'm going to guess aperture priority. Best case scenario is to set the camera to about +1.5 or so and meter the groom's black (assuming it's black) tux. Once you KNOW that is good exposure, look at the settings and switch to manual and dial in those settings. Why switch? Because if you then happen to acidentally hit the background bright outside when you are composing a shot the exposure won't change and be all over the place.
As for shooting a ceremony with flash-it's kind of frowned upon. It's rather distracting and even annoying to the guests. The couple has invited the guests there because they are important to the couple, so I'd highly recommend flash and all of that for any images in the gazebo after the ceremony, but not during.

Question: When using a speed light with the camera, does the camera built in meter still work the same way?? ie. if its over exposed it will be all the way to the right etc. ??
If you are using a Nikon system, then, no, it doesn't. The camera's built-in meter will meter ambient light, and when the flash fires, a sensor measures the return and adjusts flash-output in a fraction of a millisecond.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back