Exposure Bracketing for April 2024 Solar Eclipse?

rbmartiniv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am preparing to photography the April Solar Eclipse. I live in Texas and can drive to the center of the path (there will be about 4’ 22” of totality) in less than 3 hours. Ideally, I would like to shoot with Exposure Bracketing on my Nikon D7500, probably 5 shots to a series and shoot a series about every 2 minutes. Unfortunately, setting up the camera to bracket exposures only takes on eseries of bracketed photos per button press. I really don’t want to press a button every couple of minutes for the 4 hours or so of the eclipse. I had hoped that I could use an intervalometer to start each sequence so all I would have to do is sit back and watch. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do that. As a substitute method, I have also considered Interval Timer Shooting. I can set that up to shoot a series of exposures but they will not be “exposure bracketed”. I can turn on the Exposure Smoothing option in the Interval timer shooting, but the user manual refers to the results as a “movie”. Will the Exposure Smoothing work similar to bracketing? Can I select images from the “movie” for post-processing? Will the individual images be of the same “quality” as if I shot each one separately? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

There is an ongoing discussion about photographing the eclipse at:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back