extension tube failure

KennethF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all, i have a kenko ext. tube set of 3 for my nikon 5100, which has worked well for quite a while, now all of a sudden the middle 20mm tube seems to have failed, when i attach it to the camera with any nikon lens i am told that the lens is not attached, i cannot see any physical damage on the tube .I am hoping someone may have an idea what is going on. Many thanks in advance. Regards Ken.

Hello all, i have a kenko ext. tube set of 3 for my nikon 5100, which has worked well for quite a while, now all of a sudden the middle 20mm tube seems to have failed, when i attach it to the camera with any nikon lens i am told that the lens is not attached, i cannot see any physical damage on the tube .I am hoping someone may have an idea what is going on. Many thanks in advance. Regards Ken.
Hey can I also have a three of Kenkonextension tubes. My guess is that the contacts have failed in the tube Perhaps you could try cleaning the contacts on both the lens and on the extension tube in question. You are the first person I have heard of with this problem.

I believe you could still use the camera and the extension tube but only in manual mode and with no light metering and no flash metering..

Hello Ken and welcome, you are attatching a lens as well ???

Hi Kenneth, welcome to the forum. After reading that you said the lenses are attached to both the camera and tubes I agree with Derrel on try cleaning the contacts as they may need it.

I'll look when I get home, but believe the pins are spring loaded. Make sure one isn't stuck or hanging up.

Hi welcome, I had to clean the contacts on mine with a cotton bud, I also cleaned the contacts on my canon as well common thought here is the contacts

Yes, they are spring loaded. If you've cleaned the contacts and none are hanging up, then something inside may have broken or come loose. Looks like Kenko has a 1 year limited warranty, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them. Might get lucky.

I'd take it apart and see if it could be repaired, but I'm a cheapskate. If you have an ohm meter, you should be able to test each pin to it's corresponding contact and find the culprit. You don't have anything to lose if it's already broken. Plus, I didn't find many selling individual tubes.

Let us know what you figure out.

Morning all, i don`t know what i did but i cleaned all contacts, checked all pins but nothing worked so i unscrewed the metal plates but nothing looked broken so i replaced the plates and voila it was working again. Such is life, thank you all for your suggestions. Regards Ken.

Ah good it’s areal boon when something like that happens and you don’t have to replace

Most reactions

New Topics

Back