External Monitor - Neewer products experience?

WesternGuy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I get a little older, I find it a bit more difficult to lie on my stomach to get up close and personal with some ground hugging flowers, etc. I also want to minimize any impact on other flowers growing in the immediate vicinity. I have discovered that what I most likely need is an external monitor of some sort that will allow me to set my camera low to the ground on my tripod or a Platypod and see my image from a kneeling or sitting position. I have had a look at a variety of these products, most of which are oriented towards taking videos. I have identified a couple made by Neewer that seem like they might fit my needs. I have a 5DIV and a 5DIII converted for infrared that I use in these situations.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these products in general and Neewer specifically. If so, any insight that they might care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.'

WesternGuy

My Pentax cameras offer remote view and camera control via wifi connected to either my android phone or tablet. Remotely it allows me to focus, and set aperture, shutter, ISO, and release shutter. As I understand it the 5DIV has a similar app though I'm not sure about the level of control or if it works on the 5Diii. A guide to choosing the right EOS 5D Mark IV WiFi function I typically connect to my Samsung tablet when the need arises, because of the bigger screen, but it's still small enough to hold in one hand.

Yeahhhh,Smoke665 stole a page from the modern era! LOL....

Yup I'm not fond of ground hugging either. At my age it takes to long to get up!

Yup I'm not fond of ground hugging either. At my age it takes to long to get up!

My problem exactly.

I found most of the information I needed in a "proper" version of the Wi-Fi Instruction Manual for the 5DIV from the US support page - the one that came with the camera doesn't give the same amount of detail. I managed to get the camera set up with one of the two WiFi networks in the house, but when I set that network as the "one" I get a screen on the camera that asks for "Enter 8-63 ASCII characters" or "Enter 64 Hexadecimal char.". I have no idea what this is about, nor do I seem to be able to find an explanation anywhere. Smoke665, do you have any idea what this is about?

WesternGuy

I managed to get the camera set up with one of the two WiFi networks in the house, but when I set that network as the "one" I get a screen on the camera that asks for "Enter 8-63 ASCII characters" or "Enter 64 Hexadecimal char.". I have no idea what this is about, nor do I seem to be able to find an explanation anywhere. Smoke665, do you have any idea what this is about?

Okay I'm sorry should have gone into more detail earlier. Through WIFI you can connect to a computer, or in your case you're trying to connect to a network. That lets you connect to things like your computer, TV etc. to view or wirelessly download files to off your camera. From the sound of it it's asking for the IP address of your computer (on the network). Here's a more detailed sheet on how to do it. Step-by-Step Setup Guide Wireless File Transmitter - PDF This doesn't allow you to have remote control of your camera.

What I suggested earlier is an app that you load on your phone or tablet. EOS Remote - System & Support there is a link on the page that you follow to download for Apple or Android to your phone or tablet. That app also connects to your camera through the camera WIFI connection. (you don't connect to your computer or network). With the app you should be able to remotely control your camera. (aperture, shutter, ISO, focus and release shutter)

I did download the EOS Remote" app from the APP store to my iPad and it told me that there is a newer application called Canon Connect Station, so I downloaded that one. I will have to finish this all off tomorrow as I don't have time tonight and I will try and read the "Step-by-Step..." guide and see how that fits into the whole thing.

The full edition of the manual that I downloaded gave me the instructions that I needed to enable the camera and I go through all there instructions until I tried to run the Canon Connect app and that is where things stopped with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address. The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station. Check the network settings and tap the Retry button." Maybe I don't have the right software? I will followup tomorrow.

WesternGuy

until I tried to run the Canon Connect app and that is where things stopped with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address. The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station. Check the network settings and tap the Retry button." Maybe I don't have the right software? I will followup tomorrow.

WIFI connections can be frustrating. I've pulled my hair out at times, especially with networks. I worked for 4 hours on a WIFI connected security camera that I can access from my smart phone, and was just about to throw it in the garbage when something finally clicked. Works great now, I can access it, rotate, zoom, take a picture.... from anywhere I have a cell signal.

I use the 5DMiv with my phone and tablet. It works a lot like the GoPro app works. You have a lot of control from your tablet or phone.

WHY is WiFi connecting sooooo difficult/erratic, with so many devices?

It isn't very user friendly, that's for sure.

I did download the EOS Remote" app from the APP store to my iPad and it told me that there is a newer application called Canon Connect Station, so I downloaded that one. I will have to finish this all off tomorrow as I don't have time tonight and I will try and read the "Step-by-Step..." guide and see how that fits into the whole thing.

The full edition of the manual that I downloaded gave me the instructions that I needed to enable the camera and I go through all there instructions until I tried to run the Canon Connect app and that is where things stopped with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address. The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station. Check the network settings and tap the Retry button." Maybe I don't have the right software? I will followup tomorrow.

WesternGuy
I have the right software, so I don't know why this isn't working. It is getting to the point where I have spent a lot of time on this with little return. Maybe I will try Canon Help folks and see if they can get this going.

WesternGuy

I sort of grew up during the evolution of the computer. From programming in Fortran on key punch cards (on a computer that filled a good size room) to the latest Win 10. Networking is one of those use it or lose it things, the last real network of any size that I set up was at least 10 years ago. I can muddle through things if need be, but no where near up to speed.

I guess I didn't have the right software. One phone call to Canon Canada Support and all is working. I needed to download the "Camera Connect" app instead of the "Connect Station" app - duh!!! :048: :BangHead: Not sure where I got this advice from originally, doesn't matter, so I don't need an external monitor or any of that stuff.

My thanks to all who offered their insight and help.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back