eye-fi cards?

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was looking at their website, but to my understanding, you need to have an internet connection for this to work. I was wondering if anyone knew if it would still connect if you had a wi-fi connection, but not an internet connection? Seems kind of weird to need a net connection. I was thinking it might be a cheap alternative to WT-4 or whatever nikon is marketing.. with the use of a SD>CF adapter.
Thanks to anyone with any info!

I saw today a release of a new system by (I think Samsung) which is a transmitter and receiver - the transmitter connects to your Tv out port on the camera - and the receiver to your computer. Its not a huge range, but its wireless transmission.

MY guess with the eye-fi is that it uses a wireless internet modem to perform part of the connection

No CF cards... that leaves me out. You would think that they would make CF cards first because they are bigger (roomier inside), and that the cameras that these cards would be in, are of (speaking VERY generally now), higher quality.

Actually I think wi-fi can mean just a wireless connection for devices... I don't think it's limited to the Internet.

From wikipedia: Wi-Fi technologies are supported by nearly every modern personal computer operating system, most advanced game consoles and Laptops, and many printers, and other peripherals.

Don't think printers need an Internet connection to be available to work. Sorry notelliot... I don't know the answer your specific question though.

I saw today a release of a new system by (I think Samsung) which is a transmitter and receiver - the transmitter connects to your Tv out port on the camera - and the receiver to your computer. Its not a huge range, but its wireless transmission.

MY guess with the eye-fi is that it uses a wireless internet modem to perform part of the connection
You don't mean the SW-A4000, do you? while relatively cheap, it was made for stereo equipment.. Couldn't find any other wireless transmitters made by Samsung.

I wonder if apple airport would suffice as a wi-fi hub and modem.

No CF cards... that leaves me out. You would think that they would make CF cards first because they are bigger (roomier inside), and that the cameras that these cards would be in, are of (speaking VERY generally now), higher quality.
adapters aren't that expensive. 80 bucks for the wifi card, 20 for an adapter.. vs over $900 for the WT-4..

Actually I think wi-fi can mean just a wireless connection for devices... I don't think it's limited to the Internet.

From wikipedia: Wi-Fi technologies are supported by nearly every modern personal computer operating system, most advanced game consoles and Laptops, and many printers, and other peripherals.

Don't think printers need an Internet connection to be available to work. Sorry notelliot... I don't know the answer your specific question though.
No, I don't believe wi-fi is limited to use via the internet, but eye-fi is trying to boost file sharing and make it easier/faster so they've done something with the net as well.. but like I say, I'm not totally clear.

Most reactions

Back