f 1/0.95- does anyone remember this?

mikehaugen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I remember reading a while back about a lens that was once made with an aperture of .95. I think it was canon back in the fd days. (sorry to make it sound like some sort of ancient legend, I'm sure that there are a lot of photogs on here that shot fd for a long time. I am young but I too had an fd mount- actually an ae-1 program) Anyway did anyone ever use it? It sounds intriguing and I would just like to hear some others' thoughts on it.

...and how much did that cost (dare I ask)??? Probably no chance of seeing one of these again in the near future I imagine.

Yes... Its a rangefinder Canon lens 50mm f/0.95. Many have modified it to an m-mount for use on the Leica m-mount bodies. Image wise.. its ok. The modification to m-mount requires an experienced person with a shop. My memory recalls (a few years dated now) $1200 for the lens and $300 for modification.. We used to have a member who had one... on a Leica... iron flatline.

there's also the Noctilux 50mm f/1 (I have one)

there's also the older (often preferred) Noctilux 50mm f/1.2

there's a 50mm f/1.2 nikkor

there's also the newer m43 Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95

there's also the Canon EOS 50mm f/1 (didn't do well)

there's also voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 in m-mount.

there's also the Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 - $10k+ USD. Sharpest of the bunch. Aspherical

there's a handful of really fast C-mount lenses too. 25mm f/0.95 if I recall.

btw.. the difference between 0.95 and f/1.2 is nominal and really just at the center.. degrading as you get to the edge of the frame.

I didn't realize that this was something that was still available, when read about it it seemed that it like a limited production item- almost like a concept. I had no idea that it was as common as it is, after reading the post by usayit I checked ebay and saw a lot of the lenses he referred to. Still doesn't mean that it's anything that I could consider buying but seems kind of cool.

Zeiss made a Planar 0.7/50. Kubrick had it custom-mounted for filming the candle-lit scenes in the movie Barry Lyndon.

Most reactions

Back