Fabric back grounds

Pixsy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to perhaps blur the back ground more when using a fabric back drop. I can't seem to get it just perfect I can still see faint creases in the fabric, maybe I just need to spend more time steaming it? Or pull the subject out more from the backdrop ? Any advise is appreciated!
Nic

move your subject away from the backdrop as much as possible. I try to get at least 2-3 feet of distance.
then, use only enough DOF to get your subject in focus.

In addition to Pix's recommendation above, yes, more time with the steamer and stretch it. I have a whole bag of small plastic clamps that I use to keep my muslins tight.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to perhaps blur the back ground more when using a fabric back drop. I can't seem to get it just perfect I can still see faint creases in the fabric, maybe I just need to spend more time steaming it? Or pull the subject out more from the backdrop ? Any advise is appreciated!
Nic

Now you know why many of us use paper instead of fabric.

Muslin is nice for portability. Paper is just much better/easier if you are set up for it.

But as mentioned you need to have clips to keep it tight to eliminate the wrinkles. Also prevent any light from behind the muslin as could cause problems depending upon the muslin.

Also, as mentioned the further from your background as possible. If you muslin is long and The person is standing on it for a total body, then you'll need to try and use weights to keep the bottom part wrinkle free. The more I've used muslin, the more of a pain it is. But I don't have the space for the 10ft paper width, but smaller widths (but no real storage space).

And also a smaller Depth of Field (Aperture) helps if you can control it enough in your total space (lens to subject, subject to background).

Most reactions

Back