Facebook = Grrr!

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wasted soooo much time today on facebook. But I did get two cheques today for my work last month - so does that count as doing something? hehehe

In fact, I wasted so much time I even created a facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12077155581 Yep that's nerdy. But anyway. I thought I might see if any Aussies are interested. I got the idea off one of Rob's groups for Londonites.

i must be getting too old for these social network things. I got invited by my cousin to join so i signed up. I left after a week and closed the account, just couldn't see the point.

There is something sinister about those places. soon nobody will leave their houses to see their friends, they will just post a smilie drinking a beer on their Facebook "Wall" instead, and that will do

I don't quite understand all this Facebook thingy!
I got an invitation to view the things going on in someone's life, and had to register to do so, but let that invitation e-mail sit there unused and unresponded to until I found this very thread by Meysha this morning ... and with this I thought, hey, I might go register and check out that person, but how on earth do I even GET to her??? I don't get it...

I don't find it very user friendly either. Your best bet is to find a box on their site and search for her name. Then request to be their friend.

How pathetic does that sound?

I adore facebook, makes planning events so much simpler and probably 90% of the people I know have it - not to mention even my mother does ;) I have probably found 20 long lost friends from the wee eyars of preschool through facebook. However, I plead ignorance to how many hours I have wasted on there.

I don't quite understand all this Facebook thingy!
I got an invitation to view the things going on in someone's life, and had to register to do so, but let that invitation e-mail sit there unused and unresponded to until I found this very thread by Meysha this morning ... and with this I thought, hey, I might go register and check out that person, but how on earth do I even GET to her??? I don't get it...

In Germany, among students, studiVZ is the most popular social network:
http://www.studivz.net/

But you should also read this, how social networks can ruin your career:
http://www.fixmbr.de/karrierekiller-studivz/
(German only, sorry)

And actually I have to agree, since I know what things are like when we hire new people. Of course we do an online search to find out what sort of person the applicant actually is. And of course you sometimes find very interesting things ... either placed on the internet by the applicant himself, or by friends and family.

So my advice, whatever traces you are about to leave in the WWW ... keep in mind that everyone on this planet can read it and that it might be read by those people assessing your job application one day.

So think twice before posting those images of yourself drunk or hyper-silly.

I want to join but it told me I couldn't because I'm not an ex-convict. :(
That has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on TPF

In Germany, among students, studiVZ is the most popular social network:
http://www.studivz.net/

But you should also read this, how social networks can ruin your career:
http://www.fixmbr.de/karrierekiller-studivz/
(German only, sorry)

And actually I have to agree, since I know what things are like when we hire new people. Of course we do an online search to find out what sort of person the applicant actually is. And of course you sometimes find very interesting things ... either placed on the internet by the applicant himself, or by friends and family.

So my advice, whatever traces you are about to leave in the WWW ... keep in mind that everyone on this planet can read it and that it might be read by those people assessing your job application one day.

So think twice before posting those images of yourself drunk or hyper-silly.

i read somewhere that Facebook plan to make user profiles accessable to search engines. Great news if you're a stalker

i read somewhere that Facebook plan to make user profiles accessable to search engines. Great news if you're a stalker

true!

i think people are a bit too open with all this.

in any case, i can be found anywhere on the net when i recently googeled for my name i got pretty shocked ... but i totally keep friends and family out of this. no pictures, no words.

I google'd my name and found that I died twice..once at 62 and again at 65. Both times in the 1800's. ;)

More on topic..I can't stand myspace..signed up for it once, then deleted my account. I can't imagine I'd like facebook or other similar sites any better.

Oh man!!! Social networking......

I have a MySpace and a Facebook account. Unfortunately I was one of the first to have Facebook because I was in college when it started up as a strictly college only networking site.

Everytime someone says to me, "Did you check your facebook?" I die a little inside. I wasted too much of my freshman year on this website.

agree agree agree with absolutely everything. I'm very careful about what I put on there because I'm using mine solely as a networking tool to find more work. It's pretty good for that... I've gotten a few leads out of it.

So instead of all of us using facebook and wasting time... we use forums? hehehehe. :)

So instead of all of us using facebook and wasting time... we use forums? hehehehe. :)

I justify that by telling myself there is knowledge to be gained and/or shared here. :D I don't know how much of that is going on with a networking site.

BTW My MySpace LOL

My wife oversees my facebook page...she got tired of me never touching it! I didn't really see the point either. It's interesting from time to time but I never really get sucked into it too badly!

Most reactions

Back