Fake Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by VidThreeNorth, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The images shown are -not- retouches or "deep fakes". The images show what is now possible when a human-looking face is constructed 100% through artificial intelligence. It would be nice if people would understand the basic idea here, which is that we now have software which can create a face from scratch, with absolutely zero need for a photographic starting point. A deep fake is a computer-generated likeness based upon an actual person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember hearing/reading somewhere that once computer graphics became powerful enough, there would no longer be a need for real (human) actors.

3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes to a point, someone had to enter parameters to use, based on a knowledge of facial features to begin with. That's like Lr's AI "auto" button, they used input from tons of photographers on processing inputs to allow the AI to have a starting point. Now granted artificial intelligence is more, in that it has the ability to use certain basics to build on. In the case of Lr it supposedly "remembers" you're processing and adjusts it's basic knowledge to more closely represent your particular style. Adobe makes big bets on AI and the public cloud – TechCrunch

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This link was posted here before. Can't remember who.

Complete AI generation. No composites, retouch, etc.
    This Person Does Not Exist

5. smoke665

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That day is already here, look at films like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron, Terminator, Abyss, Avatar................the list goes on and on.

6. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Smoke, add lura Croft in tomb raider,
    Re your post 8
    It becoming an increasing problem and as you and others have said there is no clear guide line
    Eg a % of image or of a photographers work#total out put#
    Sadly this is one of the reasons why I have adopted the policy
    #if I don’t want to copied I don’t post it#
    I have had a battle with a stock image group who wanted to use one of my images. How they got to see it I don’t know
    But they got really upset when I said no, and still no when they kept on asking.
    Took a month before they accepted that I was not going to change my mind
    I even told them that the image came from an event that I was given access to on a non commercial use Understanding.
    Don’t know what the answer is , in the days of film and pre good photocopy unless someone got the negs there was a limit to how many and where copies would end up.
    Now I chat here on a global site, so for me not posting images that I don’t want copied is option A
    Option B is go back to film and not going on line

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Weren't those done by digitizing over an existing (and very real) actor?
    As opposed to creating an "actor" that is a complete fabrication in the digital domain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Derrel, I think we get that— that deepfakes are something different than what’s provided here. However, these and deep fakes can be considered within the same category: fakes. This alone makes it terrifying in times where things go viral and damage occurs within minutes to hours.

What’s even more terrifying is when these are found as fake and NOT removed by companies, such as the Mark Zuckerberg deepfake on Facebook.

What if someone creates a fake “executive” or a deepfake of an existing executive at Nikon saying that the company is going under? That could spread like wildfire and could have real effects (think dropping stocks) before Nikon could get an official statement out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. smoke665

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Again where is the line it's a meld of real, animation, and AI generated. Supposedly the film Avatar was about 60% CGI, but facial expressions were based on computer captured photos of real people.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    It would be nice if respondents actually familiarized themselves with this already-years old technology before making comments which are not really applicable to what is being discussed. It's amazing that some people are unaware that this exists and they don't have the experience to make comments which are factually accurate, but are filled with misconceptions based upon ideas that are years behind the times and way, way behind the state of AI technology. The real truth is that these people do not exist and are not based upon any one person and the starting point is completely empty.... nothing human. A deepfake is actually based upon a real person and is a simulation of their appearance based upon facial recognition technology. This is not about the deepfake technology, but is something else entirely. If words and terminology matter then this is not to be confused with the Deepfake technology....this is about the new technology that allows for a 100% artificially created personage. I would encourage people to do some research, some actual web research and then consider what this really means, rather than base your comments on 25 year old capabilities in which you need to have a person and you use Photoshop to manipulate them. This is not about Photoshopping, this is something entirely different. Go back to the orginal Source video or go to the website this is not a real person and have a look. This is not about the movie Avatar. This is not about Adobe keeping track of how you like to edit photos.

This is not about digitizing over an image of an already-existing actor or model.

This is not the same thing as a deepfake, in pretty much the same way an Ansel Adams shot of Yosemite is different from a postcard that was taken in Yosemite, or in the way a portrait is different from a snapshot. The deepfake technology is the ability to take someone's likeness based upon the real person, often a celebrity but not necessarily, and to create photo-realistic images of them:this is something entirely different. I am amazed that some of you cannot seem to understand that this is not based on Old ideas of photoshopping but this done by a super powerful computer or GAN.

Go to the website this person does not exist and have a look for yourself. Don't make assumptions that these images are low quality, because they are not. They are extremely photo-realistic and very high quality. And were created with no actual people involved in front of any camera at any time. These are 100% artificially created "people"... the deepfake is a false representation of a real person based upon multiple images being analyzed this is a very important distinction such as the difference between snapshot and portrait.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Go to the website this person does not exist. See what a GAN can do.

If you think that these photos are low quality you are sadly mistaken.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Snapshot versus photograph. Deepfake versus this. Terminology matters and not just the state of the end result: yes both might be "fake ". But what one has as its concept is creating a fake photographic or video rendering of an actually-existing person, while the other uses extreme computing power to create a virtual person...

Terminology matters. I'll leave you all to your little snapshots... I mean photographs...