Faking OOF Background

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this photo yesterday and posted it in a different thread. This is for reference:

cactus.jpg

Cactus flowers are a PITA because they bloom right on the cactus and if you stop down enough to hold the flower in DOF (f/5.6 in this shot -- 1 inch sensor) then you get a fairly well in focus background including cactus spikes etc. In the above photo I blurred the background a little. It really looked like this:

cactus2.jpg

And although my botanist wife approves of the surrounding detail it's distracting to say the least.

Faking OOF background is tricky. This morning with my coffee I took a stab at it with this photo and managed to pull off this:

fake_oof.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
Who knew that coffee was to key to Photoshop bokeh?

Pretty nice job.

Thanks. Post processing requires either coffee or bourbon depending on the time of day.

Joe

OMG! It's all fake? Is nothing real anymore? We might as well be living in the Matrix! :biggrin-93:
Sometimes they can be tricky and other times a breeze, the tricky ones seem to out number the easy ones for some reason. :BangHead:

You pulled it off quite nicely! :encouragement:

Generally the fake oof is poorly done and quite obvious. These are well done and I don't think I would have picked it out had you not given it up.

While true oof is based on depth of field (duh), most people that fake it base oof on what is/isn't the subject, meaning some items are oof while others within the same plane are in focus.

Nice work.

Generally the fake oof is poorly done and quite obvious. These are well done and I don't think I would have picked it out had you not given it up.

While true oof is based on depth of field (duh), most people that fake it base oof on what is/isn't the subject, meaning some items are oof while others within the same plane are in focus.

Nice work.

Thanks, appreciate it. The tricky part is the edge or transition between the subject and background.

Joe

The blur function on my Google Pixel phone is pretty impressive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back