Fall Around the Lakes

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few pictures I've taken over the last week for two of the lakes I have access to.

Lake Accotinc in Springfield, and Burke Lake.

1. Lake Accotink shot in HDR- This is not your typical HDR where you set up the brackets and go for the over under. I specifically shot with spot metering, the floor of the trail, the sky, and the top of the trees, and blended them in Lightroom. Shot with D750, Tamron 24-70 at 24mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/50.
20151023 Va Accotink Park035-HDR by Dan Girard, on Flickr

2. This is Burke Lake along the dog trail. Shot with D750, Sigma 50-150 at 78mm, ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/13.
20151024 Va Burke Lake Fall019 by Dan Girard, on Flickr

3. Burke Lake again from the East Side. Shot with D750, 24-70 at 36mm, ISO 80, f/11, 1/10
20151031 Va Burke Lake001-2 by Dan Girard, on Flickr

If you did it that way, the first would be considered tone-mapping, not HDR, but that's semantics.

Nice images. I especially like the third image. It is nicely composed, and well exposed.

Cheers!
Jake

Overall, very nice colourful images. My only comment is that you have placed the shoreline in #2 and #3 right in the middle of the image. This is generally a no no for landscape images. If it were mine, I would move the shoreline up or down to get it out of the centre location. The guideline often referred to as the rule of thirds is probably useful for that.

WesternGuy

Overall, very nice colourful images. My only comment is that you have placed the shoreline in #2 and #3 right in the middle of the image. This is generally a no no for landscape images. If it were mine, I would move the shoreline up or down to get it out of the centre location. The guideline often referred to as the rule of thirds is probably useful for that.

WesternGuy

I usually do that for my photos but both of these required the rule of "Know the Rule of Thirds and when to break it". For #2 based on my local and options I had, I chose to put the tree branch sticking out of the water at one of the focal points. By doing this the rule of thirds was not possible, with any focal length I had available. #3 I wanted to capture the trees as well as the reflection of those tree and provide some strong leading lines out of the frame. To use the rule of thirds would have meant cropping out the top or the bottom of the trees and I wasn't willing to do that. Make more sense now ??

Yup - makes very good sense. I am not sure I like the "branch out of the water" in the second one, but that's entirely a personal thing - it is your art and you do what pleases you (I do the same thing :biggrin-93: ). As for the third image, having the line in the centre does make sense when I think about it as it is often a time to break the ROT when you have such a perfect reflection.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back