Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
rule #1: don't piss of foreign police.

rule #2: don't lie on camera

"This is news?" I'm thinking. Oh vey. All the worlds troubles should be so serious.

Seeing as Brazil is extorting one of the other guys for 10k I'm not sold on anybodies version of the story. Not sure if any of them ever reported anything to the police or if brazil is just so insecure it cares what mat laurer says on E! Sounds like they busted some stuff up, someone came and threatened them to pay for it. As the whopper gets exaggerated all of the sudden now that someone had a gun and they robbed us.

Any news source should check the facts before running with some claim about somebodies war story and adventures abroad. What exactly happened? Did the security gaurd threaten them with some weapon? Who knows but I'm not just going to accept the sensationalized medias accounts any more than the Brazilian authorities or any swimmers. I wasn't there, whole things suspicious. Brazil making a big deal about it only further cast suspicions as to what really happened and how they are apparently not able of handling the pressure of hosting the olympics if they can't deal with one minor altercation and threaten to hold people for petty crimes and extorting exorbitant amounts of money from athletes. Not even in Russia did they try keeping Americans captive or causing this much controversy. Russia handled its law and order and didn't turn anything into a circus or try to play political games. At worst its a minor crime of vandalism. They never reported anything to the Brazilian police or made false accusations, they knew the Brazilian police were corrupt, they were robbed by cops in the first place.

With all the facts in, Brazil admits the security gaurd pulled a gun or weapon of some sort so Lochtes story is not that far off from the truth. You may disagree with the characterization but both sides seem to be in agreement enough about what went down.

Sure popular opinion is irrational enough and the stakes are high enough you might expect or hope to ruin someones career. People love a winner more than they love high moral charcter. I just read a story today about Mets fans cheering back some guy who got suspended for beating his wife. Maybe the American public cares more about Brazils police but I'm not sure. As for endorsement deals i'm not trying to poo poo on anyones parade or be gleeful about it.

Last edited:
threaten to hold people for petty crimes and extorting exorbitant amounts of money from athletes. <snip> At worst its a minor crime of vandalism.
While Brazil probably has more pertinent things to worry about, we shouldn't just brush this off. Whether it's a minor crime or not, the world was invited into their country. The least we can do is respect them and not vandalize local businesses. There's video evidence contradicting their statements, so they should be held accountable for their vandalism and false police reports.

They broke the law, and they shouldn't leave the country until the case has been settled. We have similar cases in this country where people aren't allowed to leave the state or the country if they committed specific laws until everything is settled. Why should Brazil be different?

nobody filled any police reports. Ten thousand dollars for a door, a mirror, a soap dispenser and a fine is extortion and wouldn't have been the case if they weren't Americans. they already paid for the property damage to the cop who pocketed the money. I admit we have a corrupt legal system here too and immigrants skip out on court all the time. They wouldn't have special agents taking these guys off of planes if it wasn't political.

Granted, I might be in the minority here, but despite my best efforts I'm finding it pretty much impossible to give a crap about this.

Voila_Capture 2016-08-22_03-42-05_PM.jpg

Maybe the soap dispenser company will sponsor him: The bad boy of swimming cleans up his act.

Most reactions

Back