Falls of Elakala

Flying Panda

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
jt-strachan.pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ventured out Sunday to some waterfalls to shoot some video footage for an introductory to a video. I went to Douglas Falls & Blackwater Falls State Park in West Virginia, USA. While at the state park a snapped off a couple of images of these small falls called "Falls of Elakala".

A legend connected with the Falls of Elakala is that a Massawomee Indian warrior, named Elakala, was so girl shy it was an overpowering obsession, and in trying to escape from two Indian maidens who were pursuing him he ran too near the brink of the falls on Shays Run and fell to his death on the rocks below. As punishment for their rash act, the two maidens were banished from the tribe, went north and were acepted in the Seneca Tribe, where they married and reared families. Their sons, learning of their mothers' banishment, sought revenge on the Massawomees. They organized a war party of Senecas, marched south, annihilated the entire Massawomee Tribe, and returned with their scalps. According to the legend this conquest accounts for the extinction of the Massawomees, and the naming of the route of the march The Seneca Trail.

500_1333 (LRGCR)-F1500x844.jpg

JT

Nice shot. I have been to Blackwater Falls several times as I grew up in WV. I was not aware of the story you told. Very nice. I have photographed some water falls here in the Great Smoky Mountains using a Black Glass or neutral density filter. I have a graduated filter up to 10 stops.

Very nice pic and interesting story. It's up there with Pocahontas, the Pocahontas from the 17th century.

Picture perfect! Just lovely.

Great photograph and thanks for sharing the story!

Great picture and cool story. Thanks for sharing!
I was not aware of the story you told.
Very nice pic and interesting story. It's up there with Pocahontas, the Pocahontas from the 17th century.

I was not aware of the legend either. I knew the name was of a Native American origin so when attempting to find its meaning I came across the above information on wikipedia. (Elakala Falls - Wikipedia)

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Nice shot. I have been to Blackwater Falls several times as I grew up in WV. I was not aware of the story you told. Very nice. I have photographed some water falls here in the Great Smoky Mountains using a Black Glass or neutral density filter. I have a graduated filter up to 10 stops.

Thanks for the comment Scott - I am not normally a good landscape photographer. I would love to see some images of waterfalls from the Smokeys.

Well done. Excellent choice of shutter speed to make the waterfall look great. Cool story too!

Great picture and cool story. Thanks for sharing!
I was not aware of the story you told.

I was not aware of the legend either. I knew the name was of a Native American origin so when attempting to find its meaning I came across the above information on wikipedia. (Elakala Falls - Wikipedia)

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Thanks for the comment Scott - I am not normally a good landscape photographer. I would love to see some images of waterfalls from the Smokeys.

Here is one I took a few years ago near Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was my first attempt at using a neutral density filter.
IMG_20190109_215602_940.jpg

Here is one I took a few years ago near Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was my first attempt at using a neutral density filter.

I like that shot Scott. Just the right amount of silkiness. Good job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back