Family reunion picture tips?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm headed to a family reunion tomorrow and would love some tips on taking pictures. I been reading all I can about photo composition but still confused on much of it when it comes to taking picutres of people up close. Thank you.

I feel this is an occasion for some emotion.

When posing groups, have people touch each other... arms aound each other, holding hands and the like. This will make it easy for some emotion to come to the surface. It's likey to show.

-Pete

Try to get shots of everyone in attendance. A big group shot can be nice but maybe also some candid shots of people interacting with each other. Either way, try not to miss anyone.

Also, if inside, go for bounce flash.

Thanks for the input, yeah this will be all inside, what about when I get a shot of say my aunt and uncle standing side by side, is it better to get just the face or how much of the person should I take on this kind of picture? Should I fill the frame or make it off center? Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for the input, yeah this will be all inside, what about when I get a shot of say my aunt and uncle standing side by side, is it better to get just the face or how much of the person should I take on this kind of picture? Should I fill the frame or make it off center? Thanks for the help :)

If you can do it quickly, do all of the above.

–Pete

another vote on the candid shots....they are often the most meaningful

If in doubt, get more in the picture rather than less. If you are shooting with a good camera, you can easily crop out the parts you don't like. However, if you shoot less, you can't really add things back in.

But the more varied you can get, the better.

If your aunt and uncle are standing side by side and uncle Bob is in the back looking drunk as a skunk, might want to zoom in closer to your aunt and uncle to make the picture more flatering. And THEN move in and snap some of Bob drunk. :p

As its a reunion, trying to snap pictures of multiple generations together is nice, people love to see those. 3+ generations in one shot are great, if you can get 4 or more, well, lucky you!

Keep an eye open for a nice place for posed pictures...good light, low traffic... when people see you shooting, many will start to request portraits "oh, you have to take a picture of me and my fifth cousin I never see Gill!!"

Careful not to have a too shallow Depth of Field when shooting groups to ensure everyone is in focus.

As a related question...

It's been said around here that the flash flattens features.

How big of flash should I use to have my horse-faced inlaws look normal?

As a related question...

It's been said around here that the flash flattens features.

How big of flash should I use to have my horse-faced inlaws look normal?

I think a cast iron frying pan might work quite nicely. Works on Looney Tunes :lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

LOL thanks for the help :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back