Family Vacation Photos- Need Ideas!

PenguinPhotoWrx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We're leaving for Puerto Rico tomorrow (8/21) for a week or so.

We're spending a couple of days in the mountains visiting some of my wife's family, followed by 5 days at El Conquistador resort.

In the mountains, the town is carved out of a rain forest. El Conquistador is on the NE coast of the island and is very picturesque. It sounds easy- like a photographer's dream.

But- I've been on tons of family vacations and the shots all tend to look the same- maybe I get sucked into a photography rut. So, I'd like some ideas to spice up the pictures.

What have you done to take more interesting family vacation pictures?

Ask the locals where the tourists go to take photographs and DON'T GO THERE. Beyond that bring lots of memory cards and/or your laptop so you are not limited in what you shoot. My biggest problem is when I go on vacation I have no choice on when I tour a certain area so it is difficult to time my shoots for times with good light.

Other than a few shots that you capture that may be great I see family vacation photos as snapshots of the trip. Just there as a reminder of what you did and what you saw.

You can try making panaoramic photos of scenery, capture a moment or use a different perspective or angle but it still may be just a snapshot - and nothing wrong with that IMO. Personally, I hate sticking people in some photos as it can ruin a photo; getting a picture of the Grand Canyon and sticking someone in there standing "in front" of it is a waste of a possible great photo - if your not looking for a snapshot.

We're leaving for Puerto Rico tomorrow (8/21) for a week or so.

We're spending a couple of days in the mountains visiting some of my wife's family, followed by 5 days at El Conquistador resort.

In the mountains, the town is carved out of a rain forest. El Conquistador is on the NE coast of the island and is very picturesque. It sounds easy- like a photographer's dream.

But- I've been on tons of family vacations and the shots all tend to look the same- maybe I get sucked into a photography rut. So, I'd like some ideas to spice up the pictures.

What have you done to take more interesting family vacation pictures?

I am also going to the beach on holiday this year with my family. I wonder what you can do to take more exciting for the vacation.
Thanks,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back