Famous Photographers' Quotes

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I read these today in the latest issue of the Arizona Highways. I thought I'd share them with you:

“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson

“Which of the photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” – Imogen Cunningham

“There is a vast difference between taking a picture and making a photograph.” – Robert Heinecken

“Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston

“Film is cheaper than opportunity.” - Steve Silberman

“I find the single most valuable tool in the darkroom is my trash can.” – John Sexton

“I see something special and show it to the camera. The moment is held until someone sees it. Then it is theirs.” – Sam Abell

“Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer, and often the supreme disappointment.” - Ansel Adams

“I think all art is about control, the encounter between control and uncontrollable.” – Richard Avedon

“Maybe the judgment of whether something is art or not should come from the viewer and not the doer.” – Alan Babbitt

“Hardening of the categories causes art disease.” - W. Eugene Smith

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug around a camera.” – Lewis Hine

“Light glorifies everything. It transforms and ennobles the most commonplace and ordinary subjects. The object is nothing, light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

“The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster.” – Ansel Adams

“If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.” – Jay Maisel

Nice....
There is a whole bunch here.

Excellent collection Dimitri!!! I love Sexton's quote and Gene Smith. My fave of course is Jay Maisel. I have mentioned that Jay visits Jackson once a year. Colorful character to say the least. Currently my fave Jay quote is what the ƒ¨ç? you mean you don't know why you took the photo?

To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.
Elliott Erwitt

A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.
Diane Arbus

I like the one in my sig.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back