#5 Kyle Kaiser
41542346314_af8086b2aa_c.jpg

#6 Pippa Mann
28390480148_74beff488a_c.jpg

#7 Air Gun
40457256300_bab8bcfcf3_c.jpg

#8 Sage Karam
40457257940_195bb3b9e1_c.jpg

Cracking set with #1 #3 being my favourites, you nailed it on the panning on those.

Nicely done.
I like the shot of Pippa (to bad she didn't qualify) and I'm a huge Helio Castroneves fan.

Helio's racing career almost ended in 1999. It's also interesting to read how much his family spent and sacrificed for him to become a professional racer.
Victory Road: The Ride of My Life

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Dean , Jeff G , KmH,JC and Fiji Dave and yes Pippa not getting in was heartbreaking

A Few More

Helio Castroneves

Stefan Wilson

Could you please explain the settings and technique for the Stefan Wilson shot. I know the basics but perhaps a little more detail. Also, what kind of "yield" do you get? It appears to be something that takes a lot of practice; matching the camera to the movement of the object. Are there a lot of unusable shots?

Panning is definitely an art that requires a lot of practice.
Like anything, there are those for which it will come easy, and others that will struggle with it.
If you shoot a shotgun, you have the body motion you need for panning.

It is a LOT cheaper/free to practice with digital, than it was to practice with film.

I have not done this for a long time.
An easy way to start is to stand a few hundred feet from a local street, and practice panning on the cars as they drive by.
Local street, cuz you want their speed down at a manageable 25mph, or so.
As you get better, move closer to the street, where the apparent motion will be faster, and panning will be harder.

Panning is definitely an art that requires a lot of practice.

What shutter speed do you use? I am guessing it depends on the speed of the object and your distance from the object.

It has been a while, but I "think" I used 1/30.
The slower the shutter, the more streaky the panning effect.
But your keeper rate goes down, because you have to keep on the car longer, and you will shake. So even if you can track the car, your shake will ruin the shot.

Back then, we did not have the benefit of VR/IS to help with vertical axis stability when panning. Check your VR/IS instructions, some can be set for panning, where it only stabilizes in the vertical axis.

Yes, the car speed, and your distance from the car, also affect the panning effect.
If you are in the main bleachers, a car going down the back straight at 200mph will "seem" slower than the same car going down the front straight at the same 200mph.
That is the trick when learning, of gradually moving closer to the road.

Shutter speed is going to vary with the speed of the cars. You want to make sure the car is sharp but the wheels/tires/background are blurred so the shot has a sense of movement.
On the oval at Indy the cars are going about 240 mph at the end of the straights - just before the driver turns the car into corners 1 & 3.
For cars on a city street you would use a slower shutter speed than for cars on a racetrack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back