Fast Friday Indy 500 Practicce

I used a shutter of 200 for that shot and I know its still to high , but I need to get more practice in before I change

Reading Marks blog here Mark J. Rebilas Blog helped me a ton because he gives all the settings for the shots he took and you can experiment from there

Will Powers won the Indy 500 for Team Penski.

Danica crashed, so did 5 others, including Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanan for what seemed like the same reason. The back wheels of the car broke loose, and the car spun.
- The similarity of what seemed like the cause of all 6 crashes is not good. The talk was that it was in large part due to a rule change that decreased the downforce of the car.
- This is not due to lack of experience, Helio and Tony were also caught by that problem.

Penske - The Captain.

The reduction of the downforce the new cars have gives the racing back to the drivers. These new cars also all use the same aero kits. The drivers that know how to drive like the new car, a lot, because they know a good performance is more about their skills than it has been for a long time in Indycar.

The previous car had so much downforce pretty much every driver just held the throttle on the floor for an entire lap. They still had to hit their marks so they were on the right line through the corner and they had to deal with traffic.

The quick lap times last year were from teams best able to minimise the drag caused by the excessing downforce the previous car had, and by differences in the aero kits each engine maker produced.

It was hot in Indianapolis yesterday which made it hard to decide what car set up changes to make as the fuel load decreased and then raised again on a refill, the air temperature rose and as parts of the track changed temperature from being shaded, or not. Fortunately there was little wind so wind didn't factor as much as it does at Indy when wind speed picks up, or worse, gets gusty.

Carpenter says IndyCar superspeedway kit may need to change
Carpenter, who finished second, adds that IndyCar may need to tweak the superspeedway aerokit to help racing, but at the same time, he admitted he liked the driving challenge. His rival for the win, Will Power, believed there had been “maybe only one lap” from the 200 that he was able to go flat out all the way around.

“It was a totally different type of race,” said Carpenter. “I'll have to watch it from the outside to see from that perspective.

“[But] I like the way [the 2018 car] drives. It's definitely challenging to the driver. The old car, if you had a really good car, you couldn't really get rewarded by getting away or getting separation.

“I think [now] that if you have a good enough car, you're rewarded by being able to get away a little bit [but] I do think we need to maybe make little improvements just because it's so hard in dirty air to do much.”

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back