What's new

Fast Primes for DX Camera.

Cfitz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
80
Reaction score
5
Location
Ireland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey so, I'm thinking of purchasing a new lens to replace my 18-55mm. The lens that came with the camera is becoming a pain because of the slow apertures and I want something which can allow the camera to shoot faster when indoors and in poorly lit conditions. I have narrowed it down to 2 lenses. The AF-S 35mm f/1.8G and the new AF-S 50mm f/1.8G. Both are the same price roughly so I don't need to worry about a budget.
I will be using it for, as I previously stated, indoor shots of people and some portraits etc. but also will be using it for street photography and a a general use lens. Which of the two would you consider to be better suited for what I shoot?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Conor
 
Well, you can use your current zoom lens to see what either focal length will give you....and that is apparently the only difference between the two lenses in question, is it not?

So set your zoom lens to 35mm and try shooting indoors, outdoors, on the street etc. Then set it to 50mm and so the same.

Then ask yourself, which way did you feel most comfortable?
 
Nobody will be able to tell you. For head shots of a single person, the 50 is better, for fuller body shots or headshots of more than one person, the 35 is usually a bit better. What you should do is take your 18-55 kit lens and put it at 35mm and do not let yourself move it. Shoot for a couple days at 35mm to see how you like it. Then do the same with the camera at 50mm. Then decide which if the two focal lengths suits you best.
 
I have both and usually use the 35mm indoors, group photos, general lens. I use the 50mm more for portraits. They are both good, the 35mm is a little more all purpose IMO since you can always get closer to your subject, but not always further away if you are indoors in a confined space...
 
The 50mm is a bit tight indoor and you will find that, a lot of time you can't include a group of people or body shot. Like Mike said, use 35, and 50mm on your kit lens and see which one you feel comfortable using.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom