Father's day Moon

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is something that I haven't been able to get just right. Not sure what I was doing but I tried a few different things tonight at sunset and got this one.

How did I do? I started out is seemed a little cool, so I warmed it up and am almost getting a b&w photo.

Moon-5 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

This is something that I haven't been able to get just right. Not sure what I was doing but I tried a few different things tonight at sunset and got this one.

How did I do? I started out is seemed a little cool, so I warmed it up and am almost getting a b&w photo.

I think you should do a B&W conversion. Your sky that should be black is blue. If the photo is viewed against a black background it especially looks blue.

Nice shot, I agree.. really sharp. My instructor had us play around with "Sunny Sixteen" for shots of the moon. It was a lot of fun.. sometimes I'd have to open up a bit depending on conditions, like the last one I took.

f16 was a bit dark so I wound up going down to 5.6.. was at 250mm, ISO 200 and 1/250.. it worked well and could take it hand held at midnight. :)

I'm looking forward to June 23rd.. the moon will be full AND if you didn't know already, it's going to be a super moon. The closest it's been to Earth in a while.

Last edited:

I think you should do a B&W conversion. Your sky that should be black is blue. If the photo is viewed against a black background it especially looks blue.

Light, the sky was blue because this shot was taken before sunset.

Ron, for a 200mm crop.. not bad. But it does look oversharpened a bit... pretty crinkly!

Ron, for a 200mm crop.. not bad. But it does look oversharpened a bit... pretty crinkly!

Thanks Charlie. I was iffy about that sharpening. I did that in LR4 and went to 50 with 1.5 and a 50 mask. May have to see how it looks by dropping those.

It doesnt really matter why its blue, my point is that the blue sky seems out of place with a moon shot.

It doesnt really matter why its blue, my point is that the blue sky seems out of place with a moon shot.

How does a blue sky seem out of place, when it is a very common occurance? What made me want to take this picture last night was how awesome the moon and the blue sky looked together. SOOC was way more blue sky than this, I toned it down with by warming up the wb because it was causing the moon to have a blue tint to it.

I don't know a thing about this type of photography.. but I don't see why a blue sky would be a bad thing? I do see the ridges from sharpening that were mentioned though in the full size view.

How does a blue sky seem out of place, when it is a very common occurance? What made me want to take this picture last night was how awesome the moon and the blue sky looked together. SOOC was way more blue sky than this, I toned it down with by warming up the wb because it was causing the moon to have a blue tint to it.

Its just my personal feeling that the blue sky makes it look a little funny. If you feed differently then fine, its your photo. One of the great things about forums is that we get to hear differing thoughts and opinions.

Its just my personal feeling that the blue sky makes it look a little funny. If you feed differently then fine, its your photo. One of the great things about forums is that we get to hear differing thoughts and opinions.

I agree that it is a great thing to hear different thoughts and opinions. My question wasn't meant to be defensive or combative at all. I was actually just wanting your view about that, which you've answered.

I do plan to go in this week and do a b&w conversion on this photo, just to see what I can create. (After I dial back the sharpness that was brought to my attention too.)

I appreciate everyone for taking time to post on here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back