Favorite film for medium format?

Depends what I'm shooting...

Personally I love the Kodak Ektachrome VS, the colors just "pop"

As with any highlysaturated film, it's not always good for use with people, but the Ektachrome G is nice for that.

The downside is Ektachrome is expensive, so I also have some Fuji Astia and some lomo film, depending on what I'm shooting

I love E100VS in 120 and 35mm. For a while there it went away, then it came back around. I also like Velvia 50. I shot 40 rolls of Provia 100 and it came out very good. But E100VS just appeals to me with landscapes. I process my own so I stick with positives.

160s is good. I recently bought a 10 pack off eBay 2 yrs expired. The contrast took a dump but other than that, great film.

I've just recently gotten back into MF after a hiatus of almost 20 years. I haven't a lot of experience with the vairous color emulsions yet, but of the ones I've tried so far, I really like Portra 160 VC, Ektar, Velvia 50, and Provia. The Portra and Velvia were especially good.

Is Ektar 100 any good? I ordered that for my first roll (new to MF and film).

Years ago when I shot weddings I used Kodak Vericolor III. Great film in its day. Now I use Portra 160 when I shoot the occasional roll of color. Most of the time I shoot B&W.

Potra 400 and Provia is fantastic.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I saw someone who cross processed Provia 100F and it looked great.

TMAX is my favorite for Black and White.

Last edited:
Iford 3200 iso is good stuff as well--medium format really reduces the grain.

Technically the grains are the same size the film is just bigger ;)

But I'd agree, Ilford Delta 3200 is awesome in medium format. I've pushed to 64,000 and 128,000 and the grain is still reasonable but you get incredible night shots with no flash. Anyone who hasn't tried definitely should

I seem to always be going back to Velvia 50. It allows me to still have good DOF control even in bright sunlight.

Most reactions

Back