What's new

Feedback please

SquarePeg44 5

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
16,692
Reaction score
18,291
Location
Boston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... this is my first attempt at photographing something using manual mode (not counting all the practice shots I took trying to understand exposure and how it all works). I was trying to duplicate one of the "how to" shots from the Bryan Peterson online videos. Here is my original and my edited photo. Please note I do not have PhotoShop (I'm just getting into all of this).

I used my Nikon D60 with my Tamron 18-200 lens. 200mm, f/40, 2s, ISO 200m, White Balance: Cloudy. I used a tripod and the timer. I had difficulty getting the focus as sharp as I wanted. Would love some suggestions on what I can do differently (composition, cropping and editing as well as getting it right "in camera"). I was set up really really close to the subject and had to dial back to get it where it is so I ended up with the shot not being as close up as I wanted. Auto focus then tweaked it manually. No flash.

TIA for your feedback



$Gettheforkoutofhere.webp

$fork.webp
 

Attachments

  • $fork you.webp
    $fork you.webp
    221.7 KB · Views: 93
Both could use more depth of field, and both are underexposed.

Either use a smaller aperture or do a focus stack. As for the underexposure, a simple Curves adjustment will make them come alive.

Gettheforkoutofhere.jpg


Edit: I just saw it was taken at f/40... I doubt you'll get much smaller than that. So you either need to try a shorter focal length (which will increase DOF), or do a focus stack. As for 'getting it right' in camera, learn how to 'read' the camera's histogram.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
I'm a total newb and don't know what a focus stack is. I'll add that to the ever growing list of things I need to learn! Thanks for your input.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #4
bumping to see if any other input - thanks!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom