Female Anhinga

Although I like the feather patterns on the wings better on the other photograph you posted, I like the pose on this one much more. A striking bird! May I ask what lens you were using?

Although I like the feather patterns on the wings better on the other photograph you posted, I like the pose on this one much more. A striking bird! May I ask what lens you were using?

The other photo was posted by mistake and I didn't figure out how to remove it. Both photos were shot with a Canon 100-400L Lens.

Beautiful shot.

I've seen the name but have never seen the bird that goes with the name. It looks a lot like a Cormorant to me. Hmmm ... maybe I have seen one and just didn't realize it ;)

Beautiful shot.

I've seen the name but have never seen the bird that goes with the name. It looks a lot like a Cormorant to me. Hmmm ... maybe I have seen one and just didn't realize it ;)

The range of the Anhinga is in the very southernmost part of the US. Most of these birds are found in Florida in any numbers. People sometimes confuse them with the Cormorant. The colors on the male and female are different. The males are mostly all black color.

The range of the Anhinga is in the very southernmost part of the US. Most of these birds are found in Florida in any numbers. People sometimes confuse them with the Cormorant. The colors on the male and female are different. The males are mostly all black color.
Supposedly they have been seen around here. I'm sure it was just unique individual sightings, but I have seen that name on lists of bird sightings at some of the management areas around here. Of course there is always the chance that it was Cormorants that were seen and mistaken for Anhingas to.

I just looked at a range map for the Anhinga and you are absolutely right. According to what I see they are never in this part of the country and stay right on the coast around the Gulf of Mexico. Makes me pretty sure that the sightings that were listed were wrong and you are right.

Thanks for the info!

Supposedly they have been seen around here. I'm sure it was just unique individual sightings, but I have seen that name on lists of bird sightings at some of the management areas around here. Of course there is always the chance that it was Cormorants that were seen and mistaken for Anhingas to.

I just looked at a range map for the Anhinga and you are absolutely right. According to what I see they are never in this part of the country and stay right on the coast around the Gulf of Mexico. Makes me pretty sure that the sightings that were listed were wrong and you are right.

Thanks for the info!
I have read that there have been sightings as far north as Wisconsin in the summer, so you could have them in TN. They probably usually don't stay there in winter. They are a protected bird and can be found in Florida in great numbers.

I have read that there have been sightings as far north as Wisconsin in the summer, so you could have them in TN. They probably usually don't stay there in winter. They are a protected bird and can be found in Florida in great numbers.

I guess it's possible, but more likely that I was wrong. I had seen them listed somewhere around here but naturally I can't find it now. One refuge that did list them as having been seen there was the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge just southwest of Huntsville, AL. Even that one listed them as "Historical", or in other words having been seen there once upon a time ;) Sounds like my chances of ever seeing one around here are pretty thin.

beautiful shot and bird.

Most reactions

Back