Female snowy owl in flight and perched(Pic heavy)

ZombiesniperJr

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We pulled up on a guy who baits the owls so we took advantage of the opportunity for some great flight shots.
1Female snowy owl by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
2Female snowy owl in flight6 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
3Female snowy owl in flight5 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
4Female snowy owl in flight4 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
5Female snowy owl in flight3 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
6Female snowy owl in flight2 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
7Female snowy owl in flight1 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr

Baits owls? You have pushed one of my controversial buttons, or at least your "guy" has. I know it is done, but I still feel that, somehow, baiting is a bit of a no-no and, I suspect, it might be illegal in some places. ('nuff said as this is the subject of a whole different posting and discussion.)

These are generally nice pics, but you have cropped bits off in some of them in # 3 and 6. In #4,5,6 and 7, it would be nice if there was a little more contrast between the bird and the background as there is in the first two. I note from the EXIF data that you are using +1EV for exposure compensation. I would suggest that you might want to experiment with as much as +2 or +3 in these low contrast situations. The reason I suggest this is that a few years ago a friend of mine was showing me some pictures he had taken of an Arctic fox in the snow - white fox, white snow. He told me he had to use +3 exposure compensation to get enough contrast to end up with a good picture.

WesternGuy

Baits owls? You have pushed one of my controversial buttons, or at least your "guy" has. I know it is done, but I still feel that, somehow, baiting is a bit of a no-no and, I suspect, it might be illegal in some places. ('nuff said as this is the subject of a whole different posting and discussion.)

These are generally nice pics, but you have cropped bits off in some of them in # 3 and 6. In #4,5,6 and 7, it would be nice if there was a little more contrast between the bird and the background as there is in the first two. I note from the EXIF data that you are using +1EV for exposure compensation. I would suggest that you might want to experiment with as much as +2 or +3 in these low contrast situations. The reason I suggest this is that a few years ago a friend of mine was showing me some pictures he had taken of an Arctic fox in the snow - white fox, white snow. He told me he had to use +3 exposure compensation to get enough contrast to end up with a good picture.

WesternGuy
Thank you i am not sure if it is legal here but we did not bait them In number 3 i do not see were i cropped off part of the owl the birds is fully there can you explain what you mean? number 6 is uncropped the owl came so close there at one point i could not even fit the whole head of the owl in frame no pictures like that

WesternGuy
Would you like me to post two pics of one owl that was not baited it was just flying away?

Nice captures Jr. Not sure how much post work you do on your picture but even a few adjustments make a big difference.

Nice captures Jr. Not sure how much post work you do on your picture but even a few adjustments make a big difference.
Thank you i brightened them but did not want to brighten them even more because the owl would disapear

I forgot to mention i was using my dads camera with the 400mm so i was using the 7dmk2 and i was using whatever settings my dad had it set up to

nice set baby faced zombie

WesternGuy
Would you like me to post two pics of one owl that was not baited it was just flying away?

No problem. I do realize that you weren't baiting them. It is just that I cringe whenever I read about someone, anyone, baiting wildlife in an attempt to capture their images. There was an instance, can't remember much of the details, where a photographer won some kind of award of contest where his image was obtained by baiting the owl. Anyway, as I said, I don't want to get into a great discussion on this topic as it is one that gets me very "hot under the collar" and I would rather not get involved in this discussion in someone else's posting.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy
Thank you i am not sure if it is legal here but we did not bait them In number 3 i do not see were i cropped off part of the owl the birds is fully there can you explain what you mean? number 6 is uncropped the owl came so close there at one point i could not even fit the whole head of the owl in frame no pictures like that

As far as #3 is concerned, my apologies as I got the numbers mixed up. What threw me was the fuzzy object in the background in #4 which made it look like the tail was clipped or OOF. Upon closer inspection on your Flickr site, I can see that it is the fact that the tail seems to blend with the background that makes it looked clipped in the posted image.

Thanks for the information on #6, being uncropped. Just a personal preference for me, but I would not have taken the shot, although I do understand how tempting it can be, so no problem. It is also why I carry two cameras, one short, one long when I am shooting active wildlife.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back