Few shots with new camera

GrantWoj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Grabbed a few shots I liked from my new 80D (well old shots I'm just slow to getting around to putting them on my pc).

EagleHalo (1 of 1).jpg
Loon (1 of 1).jpg

Both are wonderful, very nice

Really beautiful. What kind of duck is that?

Not a duck as such but a Loon, in this case a Great Northern Diver. Beautiful species and have the most haunting call.

Both decent shots but the Loon takes it for me. We do get them over here in the UK but I've only ever seen one once.

Both decent images.

The eagle looks to have the focus on the middle of the back. A single focus point positioned on the eye is usually the best approach to this type of shot. Another way would be to zoom out to place the focus point on the eye.
Sometimes though you just don't have time to move the focus point or zoom out an you just have to take the shot.

Are you still using the 75-300mm?

Last edited:
I love the way the light hits the bald eagle's eyes like that. It really grabs you in! Nice shots.

Nice set, I like how the eagle is back lit and the beauty of the loon pic.

Both decent images.

The eagle looks to have the focus on the middle of the back. A single focus point positioned on the eye is usually the best approach to this type of shot. Another way would be to zoom out to place the focus point on the eye.
Sometimes though you just don't have time to move the focus point or zoom out an you just have to take the shot.

Are you still using the 75-300mm?

I also noticed the focusing issue, I was actually on a boat when taking these so keeping steady and focused was a pain, plus some beer and vodka so I didn't trust my self to try to manual focus.

Nah I upgraded to a Sigma 150-600 f5-f6.3 for this trip. Wanted something with longer reach and my only other lens is the Canon 55-250mm STM.

Really beautiful. What kind of duck is that?

Not a duck as such but a Loon, in this case a Great Northern Diver. Beautiful species and have the most haunting call.

That they do, it's very strange the first time you hear it, especially when you're out in the middle of no where.

I am quite stupid when it comes to animals, birds and nature in general. My heart longs to be a good nature photographer, but my abilities in this area are lacking... Again, an excellent shot of a Loon. Learned something new today. :)

Most reactions

Back