What's new

FIBUA training, British Army. C&C

v4forlife

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 12, 2014
Messages
43
Reaction score
31
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1 and 4 for me... good snapping :)
 
If you don't mind, could you explain how you captured #4? It's really striking.
 
I'm a US Naval Officer so I will have to temper my normal "sailor mouth", but these are EFFIN AWESOME! I love everything about them. Thank you for your service to your country and its parternship with ours.
 
Holy crap, that's very, very impressive. #1 and 4 are just jaw dropping. Excellent work.
 
As others have said 1 and 4 are amazing!!! Well done. Keep shooting
 
If you don't mind, could you explain how you captured #4? It's really striking.
No problem, but I will start from set up.
It is shot with a Nikon D800 and a 70-200 2.8, so I can get nice close shots, but stay out of the way, so I don't impact on the training. I know I would get pissed if I had to deal with a 'civi' as I was trying to take a building.
Anyway, this was on house 3 of a 3 house platoon level attack. One after another, enemy forces fall back, some get 'killed' as they sweep the houses. It is to test communication in what is a very hectic situation. Blank rounds are very loud, and when put indoors, deafening. The skills of 'urban combat' are,by now, second nature, so this tests the ability for people to let their boss know what is happening, and for the boss to calmly, but with aggression, control the situation.
So I was playing enemy for this serial, survived and dropped back from the initial contact, but died in the second. Once I have died, I drop my rifle and, staying out of the way, pick up my camera which is left in a backpack and make my way outside.
this shot was taken at a slight angle from the entry point of the third house. one section had taken the first floor, and this is the 'runner' who communicated the state of the houses rooms, any enemy, any casualties back to the second house, where the platoon commander is, so he can dictate the flow of the situation. I shot it in manual, in RAW, and metered for the shadows. The original image has most of the door frame in the frame, and the shadows are bright enough to see a person moving in the hallway.

These kind of things, like most subject based photography, is a lot about knowing the situation. I knew this guy would be there. I knew he would look back towards myself at some point. I knew the shot I wanted, I knew how to set up the camera to bring that image from my brain to the memory card.

After that, it was about 40 mins in Lightroom cropping it down a little so that I had no unnecessary distractions, gal;anded the highlights and shadows to bring more focus on the eye, and there is the shot. Over a week long course, I only managed to take maybe 70 shots, which for someone who does a lot of motorsport and has managed as much as 3-4,000 in a weekend, it was a nice change of pace.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, and Brickhouse, I know where you are doing from.
 
Excellent work!

Looks to me like you could be a "photographer by trade" if you so desired.
 
@warhorse, I have tried that route, but the time it would take, and my dislike for my current job role, I am not willing to wait that long merely surviving in a job I hate. I decided to leave the forces and will be out t
later this year, but as a swan song, I am entering the Army Photographic Competition in all the amateur categories, Portrait, soldiering, sport/adventures training and portfolio, which consists of one of each of the above and a black and white image.

Looking at previous entries, winners and runners up, I do think I am a strong contender.
 
Wow, thanks Jenko.
 
Yep way out of my league these shots, but I know what I really like. That first shot is SUPERB !!. The atmosphere is remarkable, outstanding in fact. Thank's to Jenko for the heads up in the POM.

All the best Wil, a great set.

Danny.
 
Very nice, though on #1 I keep feeling like it needs some cropping on top, and possibly a little on the left.
 
Like this? It takes away a bit of the context and surrounding but does make it a bit more personal..
 

Attachments

  • $DSC_75594912 x 73601-3200 sec at f - 4.0120 mmISO 400NIKON CORPORATIONNIKON D8003004140001.webp
    $DSC_75594912 x 73601-3200 sec at f - 4.0120 mmISO 400NIKON CORPORATIONNIKON D8003004140001.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 172

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom