What is the process of obtaining a field pass for sports games? Do you need to be employed by a newspaper/magazine? I live in Colorado and trying to get access to the Broncos/Nuggets/Sky Socks (Rockies minor league baseball). Does anyone have any guidance?
You could try contacting the teams you listed and inquiring about their requirements, however I would not hold my breath. There are a lot of people that want the same access. What any pro team is going to look at is what they will get out of it. Obviously when SI, Sporting News, or any of the news services photograph a pro teams events, that team gets something out of it. Exposure either locally or nationally. That exposure is dividend for that pro team. What can you offer that pro team?
The minor league team on the other hand might be an possibility. Unlike the pro franchise, their exposure level is much less and their demand is par with that exposure level.
You might have a better chance by starting at the college level. I started shooting for a local small college that my son played sports for. That got me into some larger venues. Shooting those venues has allowed me to make the contacts necessary to now be shooting in the Big 12. I can shoot most of the events that I want too now.
I say most of the events, not all of the events. There is only so much sideline or base line room, and when say, KU is having another outstanding basketball season, the base line can get pretty crowded for certain home games. And just like the pros, they are looking for that exposure. The people that can deliver will get the limited amount of openings.
Sorry if this doesn't sound to hopeful, but it is the real world of sports photography. While shooting OU-OSU is exciting, some of the best action to be found can be on those smaller college campuses where the atheletes are competing for the love of the game. Good luck.