file type to screen appearance

flyingPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been only able to view the NEF raw lossless files my camera takes. Had to upgrade entire pc system, and had one massive shock.

What were nice to look at lossless jpegs are now HORRID crap to look at, especially when zoomed in on. SO much detail is missing on certain types of images.

Example, on jpeg lossloss fine, a long range photo of a crow on a fence post is just a black blob. But in the RAW version, i can zoom in and see FEATHERS, etc.

SO other then ease of sharing jpegs between computers that dont share software, is there a reason to put up with crappy jpeg images taken by a camera, or is it better to just go RAW only and convert them to jpeg afterwords?

Have seen same massive quality differences in jpegs that were converted from a RAW format by professional studios, compared to plain jane JPEG's.

Ive been only able to view the NEF raw lossless files my camera takes. Had to upgrade entire pc system, and had one massive shock.

What were nice to look at lossless jpegs are now HORRID crap to look at, especially when zoomed in on. SO much detail is missing on certain types of images.

Example, on jpeg lossloss fine, a long range photo of a crow on a fence post is just a black blob. But in the RAW version, i can zoom in and see FEATHERS, etc.

SO other then ease of sharing jpegs between computers that dont share software, is there a reason to put up with crappy jpeg images taken by a camera, or is it better to just go RAW only and convert them to jpeg afterwords?

Have seen same massive quality differences in jpegs that were converted from a RAW format by professional studios, compared to plain jane JPEG's.
I can always process a raw file to a superior outcome compared with the JPEG processing software in the camera. Using the JPEGs generated by the camera is settling for less technical quality in exchange for convenience and speed. That can be a fair trade for many people i.e. how many cell phone photos make people happy every day.

But it seems to me that if you're going to invest the kind of $$$$ a serious camera costs you'd want to invest the effort it takes to get the best from that camera.

The camera processing software is limited in ability. Why accept those limits?

Most reactions

Back