FILM ADVANCE ROLLER NOT MOVING

zach gawronski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1E7D10A4-0882-4672-B4BD-78E66637C35E.jpeg 0ECF886A-1DA8-486D-B4E4-C9CF80C14014.jpeg EB40CF88-C40C-4791-9BF6-FF1B3B7D5A7C.jpeg 9D6B818F-2E3E-4C18-AAC7-15E999FD2B50.jpeg

I recently found this "no make" camera, and I'd love to use it but I don't really know what to look for because it has aspects of lots of other cameras. My problem is that the film advance reel(fourth photo) won't pull film or move at all when I prime the lever, making it impossible to shoot with. Are there any solutions?

The film end has to be inserted into the takeup spool to advance correctly.

The camera's name plate was removed and the name ring removed from the lens. Does the lens come off by unscrewing it from the body?

The film end has to be inserted into the takeup spool to advance correctly.

The camera's name plate was removed and the name ring removed from the lens. Does the lens come off by unscrewing it from the body?

I've fed the film in there and even advanced it manually about 3 frames, yet it still won't move with the lever. Also yes the lens screws and unscrews.

Then it's broken and not worth having it repaired. Those bodies are cheap. Just get another one that works. Any camera that accepts M42 mount lenses will work with that lens. There are many of them from different manufacturers.

Guess... GAF from 1974ish? M42 thread mount, glue-on name plate on the pentaprism... totally a wild guess based upon memories from when I was 12 years old

Yes, probably a "GAF" (actually made by Chinon, I believe). Pretty rugged cameras as I recall.

when the door is held open, does turning the advance lever make the take up spool turn?

Most honestly if any of the gears or springs are broken in the advance mechanism, youll need to expect to spend 200$ to get it fixed. PLUS have to find an identical donor camera

I would look for a working camera in m42 thread mount, either a Pentax, or a Ricoh. Or a Sears or a GAF. The camera in its non-working state is worth about five bucks. There were probably around 10 brands of cameras that used the m42 single pin thread Mount. The m42 thread mount with the single pin was extremely popular, beginning in the 1960s and continuing throughout the entire decade of the 1970s.

There were lots of brands of cameras that used the m42 thread mount, and there were lenses made by at least two dozen small companies and sold under various brand names through camera stores and large chain retailers ,like Sears and their "Tower" brand.Tower was Sears' brand, and Focal was Kmart's brand.

There were some nice cameras made and sold which bore the name Fujica.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back