Film Camera + Beach =

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
disaster. at least that's what i've heard it can be if you get too close.

I'm going to florida soon and i will be taking alot of beach shots. what can i do to keep my camera and film safe? I hope to take some that are close to the beach too, but i'm worried about sand in the lens and camera parts. Anyone have any experience with this?

Just be careful. Maybe pack some zip lock freezer bags in your camera bag for when the camera is not in use.

Another option is to get a "beater". Pick up an old and cheap (but quite reliable) Pentax or Ricoh SLR for rainy days, beaches, and other hazardous shooting conditions.

I've taken lots of beach photos, and never had a problem. Even walking down the beach with my camera on a strap around my neck. I always carried my camera bag, and my lenses are in their own lens bags.

If it's especially windy to the point sand is stinging your eyes, you might be better served leaving the camera in your bag, of course. ;) But under normal conditions, just be careful, don't invite trouble like setting your camera down in the sand, etc. You should have no problem. :D

Ricoh SLRs are reliable, mechanical cameras, and they often go for less than $30 on Ebay. They take Pentax K-mount lenses. I started out with a Ricoh KR-5 SLR.

I'm goin on a cruise pretty soon. I intend to take along my trusty pentax asahi, and using the sunny sixteen rule.

A couple of extra things you might be interested in:

Don't change films on the beach.

Stay away from kids, dogs and volleyball :) due to the large accompanying amount of flying sand! Use a longer lens if possible or be ready to be scattered if they are your intended subject!

Use a combination of an air puffer and a small artists' brush to remove sand from the bodywork afterwards - gently!

Early Pentax cameras are really good for beach survival - I've even seen a film from an LX dropped in a kid's bucket of seawater and it was fine!!

just ude it wisely.. don't left it in an open sun or exactly on the sand. the sand you can remove from lens by blowing it out...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back