I haven't taken any photos since October...

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here it is, almost February and the last time I went out to actually photograph was October of 2023 and since then I been in a funk. A lot of people said I should take a break and that's what I been doing for the most part. I've hardly touched my camera, in fact I haven't even charged the battery since October. I've taken maybe a couple snap shots here and there and then quickly lose interest and just put it back on my desk.

It's so frustrating to want to take pictures but you don't feel like it or just don't have the motivation to. I know winter can affect a lot of people and it certainly does for me. I don't like taking pictures in the cold and the days are so short and it's often dark and depressing so I have little interest to pick up the camera.

I've been trying other things to get my mojo back like editing photos, organizing them and things like that but nothing so far yet. I've sold a lens because I wanted to have less and I'm thinking about selling another one just to feel like I'm not burden by the expensive gear siting.

In my mind I keep thinking about buying another camera because somehow that will magically get me back into the mood to photograph or getting a different lens or something to just try but deep down I don't know if its worth investing more money into right now.

I still have film in my film camera from September because I just haven't felt like using it.

It's a terrible feeling because I don't want to give up and let this go. I really do enjoy it but at the same time I really bored with it too. Its beginning to feel repeativie like I'm just going to the same place, photographing the something over and over as if I'm into some sort of echo chamber or a loop.

I've deleted all my social media in hopes that it would somehow let me focus but all it did was push me further away and disconnected from a community I had that motivated me to push to create.

I don't know what to do, I feel lost. Have you ever experienced something like this in your photographic journey?

Winter is tough when stuck inside. I plan for Jan-Mar ahead of time with house projects. Those months I do computer maintenance and have taken online classes. There are times I don't feel like taking photos. One way to break the cycle is to interrupt it with something you normally don't do or photograph.
The Weekly Challenge threads are a good resource for photographing something out of your normal realm. There are sometimes links in the beginning of the challenge threads to get ideas.

I haven't taken any "real" photographs since 2022 ... I've been taking pictures since the mid 80's, and I it doesn't feel the same anymore.

Not in photography, no. Music composition/production, on the other hand, has been a struggle. The last piece of music I completed was back in 2011. Was forced to sell my equipment multiple times over the years. Now I'm trying to get back to it and nothing's hit me yet. Same for pencil/charcoal drawing. Last piece I did was for our anniversary in 2017 and even that was a struggle. Haven't picked up pencil and paper since and it had been maybe 10 years at that point since I had even sketched something. Probably the only creative endeavor I'm keep going at has been photography.

So, maybe do the opposite of what I'm doing and try to find your way back: Take up another artistic outlet for yourself and maybe you'll make your way back to photography.

I feel you. Last roll of film I shot was in April 2022 when I went to Vegas. Too busy getting ready to buy my first house.

We are not one dimensional, nor should we live that way. I read an article recently that we need 7 "A's" in our life:

A way to make money to live on
Always maintain our physical well being, a body needs both exercise and rest
A creative outlet soothes the soul
Add to your knowledge daily
An evolving mindset that remains open to new ideas.
And never become so focused on one that you forget the others.

Over the years I've struggled with the last one on several occasions.

I don't know what to do, I feel lost. Have you ever experienced something like this in your photographic journey?
Don't force it. If you feel inspired, take out your gear and take some photos, like steam coming from a cup of coffee, the way the light falls on a favorite pet, or a beautiful winter scene outdoors. Perhaps other interests will overlap, where you just want to capture some photos at a car show or of a home improvement project. Personally, most of my gear has a layer of dust on it at the moment. I have hundreds of photos I took in the summer and fall that I just haven't had the motivation to cull and edit, and I have a monthly reminder to check my strobes and fire off a few shots or charge them to maintain the batteries. Life gets busy, my interest, motivation, and inspiration come and go, and I'm glad to have the gear on hand when the time is right. Having known you, at least online, for close to 10 years, I am confident inspiration will return at some point.

In my experience most emotions and experiences operate on a swinging pendulum. There will always be low times and funks, but those don't last so don't be too hard on yourself about it. The funk will pass, especially because you don't want to give up. When the funk ends, don't take your motivation for granted while you have it. In the meantime, do what you have to in order to occupy yourself, but getting down on yourself about it isn't a burden worth carrying because the funk is normal and something that we all experience, especially creatives.

I know the feeling, fortunately I have multiple hobbies to fill the gap. I will lay the camera down and try to learn some more guitar licks. Bored with that I will drag out my telescope or my Ham radio gear.

Unlike many, I find winter to be a pleasant change of pace for photography. The sky is often clearer with less light pollution, so shooting the star constellations, the moon and moon lit images can be quite a challenge. Given the superb ISO technology of today digital cameras, I have shot by candle light, or after a heavy snow or frost, when even the lowly weeds look nice.
feast4 t.jpg just weeds 3.JPG Just weeds.JPG
A mantel of white.jpg

My point is there is nothing wrong with taking a break from photography to do something else. But when you pick up your camera again, try making the camera do unusual things in the "manual mode". It can be quite a rewarding adventure.

It was always true that the technology of photography was merely a means to document. What makes a photographer is seeing, not recording. Other than my family pictures, which I do to keep a visual record of our lives, I merely try to save something I've seen that I found beautiful or engaging in some way.

It's not the only thing in my life, but it refreshes my mind when I find an image worth recording. I do know that I go through times when I'm not all that interested in it. Sometimes I pick up an old camera I haven't used in a while. I have a couple of SX-70s, so that is kinda fun, sometimes. I get some interesting reactions when they find out the film is still available.

Find something new to see. And the rest will follow.

Use the darkness as part of your tools.
I got into "normal daylight" photography via astrophotography.
Doing nature scenes at night using long exposure especially if you get some star movement can be a different perspective rather than daylight images. Building, street scenes, landscapes can all be done at night (black and white looks cool too) with star and cloud movement streaking across the starry sky.
It will teach you another aspect of your techniques and push your creativity.

Pick a random object or two and make something out them table top photo

I know the feeling, fortunately I have multiple hobbies to fill the gap. I will lay the camera down and try to learn some more guitar licks. Bored with that I will drag out my telescope or my Ham radio gear.

Unlike many, I find winter to be a pleasant change of pace for photography. The sky is often clearer with less light pollution, so shooting the star constellations, the moon and moon lit images can be quite a challenge. Given the superb ISO technology of today digital cameras, I have shot by candle light, or after a heavy snow or frost, when even the lowly weeds look nice.
View attachment 271545 View attachment 271547 View attachment 271548
View attachment 271546

My point is there is nothing wrong with taking a break from photography to do something else. But when you pick up your camera again, try making the camera do unusual things in the "manual mode". It can be quite a rewarding adventure.
Photography, guitar, ham radio, love winter... Some of my favorite things. Are you sure you're not me in disguise? 😅

Here it is, almost February and the last time I went out to actually photograph was October of 2023 and since then I been in a funk. A lot of people said I should take a break and that's what I been doing for the most part. I've hardly touched my camera, in fact I haven't even charged the battery since October. I've taken maybe a couple snap shots here and there and then quickly lose interest and just put it back on my desk.

It's so frustrating to want to take pictures but you don't feel like it or just don't have the motivation to. I know winter can affect a lot of people and it certainly does for me. I don't like taking pictures in the cold and the days are so short and it's often dark and depressing so I have little interest to pick up the camera.

I've been trying other things to get my mojo back like editing photos, organizing them and things like that but nothing so far yet. I've sold a lens because I wanted to have less and I'm thinking about selling another one just to feel like I'm not burden by the expensive gear siting.

In my mind I keep thinking about buying another camera because somehow that will magically get me back into the mood to photograph or getting a different lens or something to just try but deep down I don't know if its worth investing more money into right now.

I still have film in my film camera from September because I just haven't felt like using it.

It's a terrible feeling because I don't want to give up and let this go. I really do enjoy it but at the same time I really bored with it too. Its beginning to feel repeativie like I'm just going to the same place, photographing the something over and over as if I'm into some sort of echo chamber or a loop.

I've deleted all my social media in hopes that it would somehow let me focus but all it did was push me further away and disconnected from a community I had that motivated me to push to create.

Well sounds to me like you need something new to photograph. You mentioned somewhere something about going out and it was just the same old thing. Tell ya what, I like doing dogs and old buildings. 37* out yesterday and I finally went out and got some photo's of an old house and few outbuildings. Now there a few places I've gone to several time's and after a while they do get old. What I need is a new place to shoot. Or maybe been doing to much of one and not enough of the other, switch. As for the cold, I used to love the cold. I was young then though and these days the cold get's to me. 40* out and the wind blowing a bit will keep me in the house pretty much now. Wait for a nice day and go somewhere new and shoot a new subject.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back