Film or camera issue?

Edo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I recently received some scans back from my lab and all the images look underexposed and a couple have a black smudge running down the centre of the image. I have had the smudge once before about a year ago and the film i shot on recently may have been from the same stockpile. I thought maybe it was fogging, but I haven't seen any examples of black fogging before and the fact that it is more prominent in the centre of the image and not a sharp line leads me to believe it's not shutter related.

If anyone could help me figure out what is causing the issue I'd be hugely grateful?

Thanks $007123-R1-015.jpg$007123-R1-016.jpg

Sorry, should've said. It's a Contax 645.

Here's a small version of the photo.$007123-R1-015.jpg

Can you match the pictures with the frames on film ?

Looks a lot like a camera strap in front of the lens. If the body has a camera strap, it could very well be that.

Not sure what you mean. I don't have the negatives as they are with the lab and only get them back yearly.

Ahh, could very well be a wrist strap! Doesnt explain the rest of the underexposed though. Unless the aperture had slipped

Not sure what you mean. I don't have the negatives as they are with the lab and only get them back yearly.
Just wonder why you are getting scans now and the film a lot later, what if you want to rescan by some other lab ?
Likely it was a strap, but how you didn't notice it in the viewfinder ? Underexposure is another puzzle... batteries ? Lens ? I had once a Bronica lens which was properly exposing only every second frame, but that was a shutter problem.

Just wonder why you are getting scans now and the film a lot later, what if you want to rescan by some other lab ?
Likely it was a strap, but how you didn't notice it in the viewfinder ? Underexposure is another puzzle... batteries ? Lens ? I had once a Bronica lens which was properly exposing only every second frame, but that was a shutter problem.

Lab's in the US and I'm in the UK, so too much cost in getting negatives sent back everytime. That's what I was thinking, don't know how I wouldn't have noticed a strap in the frame; especially for several shots in a row. The viewfinder's dark, but not that dark!

That is extremely odd. I NEVER use a lab that only sends you back your negatives once a year.

Lab's in the US and I'm in the UK, so too much cost in getting negatives sent back everytime. That's what I was thinking, don't know how I wouldn't have noticed a strap in the frame; especially for several shots in a row. The viewfinder's dark, but not that dark!

Send them to Peak Imaging, not sure why you are sending to US because there are far more and better labs in UK

why you are sending to US because there are far more and better labs in UK
Hey hey, ho ho ,hey hey. I've got to defend own turf. :D But you are right, many good labs in UK.

Send them to Peak Imaging, not sure why you are sending to US because there are far more and better labs in UK

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've checked the settings with the lab and the aperture and shutter speed were fine. They think it may be the shutter sticking at high speeds.

Most reactions

Back