Film/Transparency Scanners

now that i've seen scans from the dedicated fuji scanners at my local photo lab, i'm of the opinion that all v-series scanners are unacceptable (again, in my opinion and all that good stuff). i say this as an owner of both a v600 and a v700. paid $120 for the v700 open box, just because the lab's fuji scanner won't do 4x5. neither will v600, for clarification.

i haven't tried the dedicated scanners for sale at online retails like plustek -- i've heard alright things about them -- but i wouldn't consider v-series for 35mm or medium format.

the v series, and i imagine other flatbeds, will let you see your shots if that's what you're after. you will have visible film curl in the scans, getting the color right will be impossible or too time consuming, and you'll never get the smooth grain look to the same degree that lab scanners offer.

pay a lot for film. don't mind paying a little more for good scans.
Did you try the wet mount scan method I linked to above?

^i have not. i have also not begun scanning my 4x5 negatives. will look into wet mounting when i do and will of course report back in some thread on this site.

I'm satisfied with the results from the Epson V series scanners for 120 and larger film. I agree that for 35mm they're on the edge and I'd rather use a different scanner. Here's 120 film with and Epson V series:

Joe

epson_vseries.jpg

I use the Edson 750 for all sizes above 35 and a plustek and Nikon 5000 for 35. I would buy the epson first so you can start scanning. It will do a good job on 35 too. I have even used it for Minox and gotten good scans. It also has a wet carrier for extreme quality but I've never used it.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I use the Edson 750 for all sizes above 35 and a plustek and Nikon 5000 for 35. I would buy the epson first so you can start scanning. It will do a good job on 35 too. I have even used it for Minox and gotten good scans. It also has a wet carrier for extreme quality but I've never used it.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
Definitely give it a try. When ever I want a good scan of a negative I do a wet scan.

I was in a position similar to your, limited budget and lots of negs and slides. After a lot of research, I ended up with a V600 out of WalMart for less than $200. Not the world's greatest scanner - but then, I'm not the world's greatest photographer.

So far, I've scanned 35 mm, 120 mm negs and slides (Velvia and Kodachrome). Results at pretty good and time isn't too bad since I can do other things while scanning. The included software is pretty easy to use and gives reasonably good results. Again, VueScan and SilverFast are options for software.

Just one person's experience......

I have an Epson 4990, which was Epson's top of the line until the V7xx series came out. It's an excellent scanner for medium and large format, but leaves something to be desired for 35mm IMO. I rigged up a duplication outfit for my digital camera and I've been duplicating my slides and negs when I've needed digital copies. Color negs can be a bit tricky, but with practice and some good photo processing software, like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, good results can be arrived at.

And here are a couple 120 examples from the 4990, scanned using Epson Scan software:

Yashica Mat 124, Tri-X
strandharleys2_fullsize.jpg

Bronica ETRSi, 75mm, Kodak Portra 160
strandharleysetrsi3.jpg

Most reactions

Back