Filter cleaner?

Aboli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you guys clean your filters, specifically the multi-coated ones? I found a place online that sells cleaner specially made for multi-coated filters but am wondering if it is necessary.
What is the best way to clean them without spreading the fingerprint or whatever it may be that is on them. I know it would be best to not let them get dirty but in reality, that won't happen.

I had difficulties cleaning coated filters of the kaesemann type. Those have really been a pain. Until I incidentally discovered that you can clean it pretty well with underwear :D - no joking. It has to contain lycra though.
I once was on an extended trip and the only clean piece of cloth I had left were panties. So I used them to clean my kaesemann polarizer. From that moment on, I always have panties in my backpack (well hidden of course ;) )

A bit of breath and a microfibre cloth is all I use.

Me too.....

I wonder what my wife would think if she found panties in my kit bag. I think it would be a tough sell LOL

I don't obsess over pristinely clean optics. I once stuck a piece of post-it note to a filter just to prove that the camera can't "see" the dirt on a filter. Clearly there's a point where a filter needs to be cleaned, but I don't obsess over it.

I just use a microfiber cloth. I also have a LensPen that works pretty well (gently fog the filter and wipe it with the LensPen.)

The only special cleaner I use is for my sensor. I use "Eclipse" cleaning fluid for that -- because it's nearly pure methanol so it evaporates completely and leaves no residue.

For my sensor I use

Movo Photo MV-B100 Motorized Ultrasonic Sensor Cleaning Brush with 4 Bright LED's

Distilled water and lots of cotton Qtips.

The only way I follow to clean them properly is by washing them with hot water. It will help to remove body oils and other sticky fluids. You can use detergent also. There is a cleaner named Formula MC Lens cleaner, can be used for cleaning the multi-coated lens.

Top rack of the dishwasher. ;)

Pro grade nikons are stamped "dishwasher safe."

I use photographic lens cleaner and lens tissue. The right tools for the job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back