Filter Size (Lens Diameter) and Exposure

<aperture>:thumbup:
haha, i knew i did that i should have checked. I remembered that I kept doing that and I was changing it, except i got it reversed this time, made the typo on purpose thinking it was the right way

I hope that I did not imply any general rue about optical quality. That's the problem with giving actaul examples, I guess. Maybe it would have been better not to show an example of the issue under discussion, or to try to explain why there are differences. I'd appreciate other people's thoughts about this.

Best,
Helen

Personally I thought yout comparison was slightly inappropriate due to lens manufacturer variation.

So I took the liberty to photograph my Canon FD 50mm 1.4s, I also took four sample shots for direct comparison but I won't have those back until wensday at the least.

Both lenses are made by the same manufacturer of the same focal leingth and maximum aperture, useable on the same body with out modification.
100_3544.jpg

On the left is the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 Ø - 52mm and the right is a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 Ø - 55mm.

The only differences in these lenses is the front element diameter and the lenses minimum aperture (Ø - 52mm - f/22 and Ø - 55mm - f/16) and the body/lens interface (bayonet/breech lock both Canon FD mount).

I have not seen any variation in performance, However I had not ever done a direct comparison via tripod multi-shoot. The results of that will be back later this week.

Last edited:
Personally I thought yout comparison was slightly inappropriate due to lens manufacturer variation.

So I took the liberty to photograph my Canon FD 50mm 1.4s, I also took four sample shots for direct comparison but I won't have those back until wensday at the least.

Both lenses are made by the same manufacturer of the same focal leingth and maximum apriture, useable on the same body with out modification.
100_3544.jpg

On the left is the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 Ø - 52mm and the right is a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 Ø - 55mm.

The only differences in these lenses is the front element diameter and the lenses minimum apriture (Ø - 52mm - f/22 and Ø - 55mm - f/16) and the body/lens interface (bayonet/breech lock both Canon FD mount).

I have not seen any variation in performance, However I had not ever done a direct comparison via tripod multi-shoot. The results of that will be back later this week.

<aperture>:thumbup:

Yes, it matters to me which lenses he was asking about because I have
reference diagrams on many of them and many 50s are very, very similar
in terms of optical design.
Yes, this is true, and not just with the 50mm lenses either as you implied. Any patents that existed especially for these legacy designs would have expired long ago. After that, there's really nothing stopping any company from reverse engineering one and making their own version.

Most reactions

Back