Filter Suggestions

jwsciontc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a $50 card to ritz camera and am wondering what to get. They have filters there that i want to check out.

So I LOVE shooting sunsets and rises. I was wondering if a filter would help produce better images. I was thinking a warming filter? I'm torn between this decision. I also like shooting in daytime at beaches and parks, like scenery, and a lot of water, was thinking a polarizer would help with these? Part of me wants to pick them up, and the other one just wants to stick to warming the colors and exposure in Photoshop.

I also considered saving up for a nifty fifty, but it's 130 in the store which is beat.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Don't bother with coloured filtered ... you can do that in Photoshop.

The circular polarizer is the one you should look at.

yeah they had a pakc of 2 tiffen ( i think) filters at ritz, one uv protector and a polarizer. the pack was only 25 bucks though so that made me feel pretty iffy

As it should. Cheap filters are a sure way to make crap photos. No spend it ALL on ONE polariser.

Otherwise if you like sunrises and sunsets you may wish to look at a Cokin P holder and Graduated Neutral Density filter. But this could also be mimicked with a tripod, bracketing images, and photoshop to get more detail out of the shadows (no not damn photomatix).

yeah i always use a tripod when i go to them, i'm thinking either a neutral density or polarizer would work well, but then i feel that they can just be fixed in photoshop, or even flickr

yeah i always use a tripod when i go to them, i'm thinking either a neutral density or polarizer would work well, but then i feel that they can just be fixed in photoshop, or even flickr

There are two pretty much absolutes in Photoshop or any other post production software. 1. you can't recreate the effect that you get with the proper use of a good polarizing filter and 2. you can't fix blown highlights that you wouldn't have had if you had properly used a neutral density filter. Garbz assessment is correct if you are looking to shoot sunrises/sunsets.

If you want to shoot silky flowing water photos you either have to carefully pick you time of day, early or late, or use a neutral density filter. For general landscape work a good polarizing filter can be very helpful. Keep in mind though that good filters are never cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back