Filtering Windshield Tint from Scanned TIFs for Digital Printing

peterfcassidy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm a film photographer who has been seduced into digital photography by some necessity and a great interest in establishing a dry darkroom. I'm running a Canon Pixma Pro 9000, driven by Photoshop CS2 working with native digital images from a Fujifilm E900 and scans of slides (Kodachrome mostly; some Velvia) captured on a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED.

Problem: I've got some precious shots of Mt Cook and the Hooker Valley in South Island of New Zealand taken from the air in an airplane with a moderate green tint in its forward windshield and windows and I'd like to print them in a series - sort of a Land of the Rings gallery. How do I filter that tint out with accuracy and precision? Is there a Photoshop plug-in for these situations that I need to know about? Note: I do have many images from the valley floor that same day and subsequent days during similar conditions, if that helps make a key for comparison.

Here's one of the images for reference:

2155668334_3c42bb1b01_o.jpg

Best,

Peter

white balance?
I don't know how to do it in photoshop with jpegs...I use lightroom for that part and it's pretty simple.

With regards to the whitebalance idea, i think if you goto 'file > open as' in photoshop, you can open a JPEG as a RAW file, which would give you a whitebalance control (obviously it's kind of faked, because there is no WB data).

Nice picture btw ! :)

Learn about Photoshops ability to apply the same color correction to all of the pictures in a folder using the File>Automate>Batch feature. This will save major amount of time.

Thanks. I tried the levels but everything came kinda close in one dimension and then changed things in another. Here's another way to ask this question: how do I get all the light and color values to be like this photograph - taken on the same day on the floor of the valley with the same camera and same film? Does Photoshop have some features that will allow it to remember values from one image and apply them to another?

Here's the image:

2159183205_8ee1fcd4ae_o.jpg

As you can see, the color values are completely different, given the fact that this one didn't get filtered by the airplane's windshield like this one:

2155668334_3c42bb1b01_o.jpg

Any wisdom on this processing conundrum appreciated mostestly.

Regards,

Peter

yep, you can shift the color with curves, (making a curves adjustment layer) - and then adjust it per channel, or the RGB.... another option is to click the "set white point" eyedropper in the bottom of the curves window... - then you can click somewhere in the image where you know it's pure white... and it will shift the curves and change the tonality of the image... once you get it how you want it then beauty.... you can drag that adjsutment layer to another image, and it will apply same adjustments to it.....

or create a photoshop action and run a batch....

However, the "photo filter" option in photoshop will allow you to fine-tune both the color of the filter applied and the extent of coloration. I believe the setting will remain in the filter between uses. Since you applied a single-color filter (namely the windshield of the plane) I think applying the opposite color is an option well worth exploring.

I have not explored batch processing with PS but this seems to be a legit use for it.

Let me try this. Using a number of adjustments in Curves got me kinda close but not really after more than an hour of adjustment and reajustment.

Thanks,

Peter

However, the "photo filter" option in photoshop will allow you to fine-tune both the color of the filter applied and the extent of coloration. I believe the setting will remain in the filter between uses. Since you applied a single-color filter (namely the windshield of the plane) I think applying the opposite color is an option well worth exploring.

I have not explored batch processing with PS but this seems to be a legit use for it.

IMG025withEDITS.jpg
yep, you can shift the color with curves, (making a curves adjustment layer) - and then adjust it per channel, or the RGB.... another option is to click the "set white point" eyedropper in the bottom of the curves window... - then you can click somewhere in the image where you know it's pure white... and it will shift the curves and change the tonality of the image... once you get it how you want it then beauty.... you can drag that adjsutment layer to another image, and it will apply same adjustments to it.....

or create a photoshop action and run a batch....

After working with Levels and Curves, I have something that is substantially what I witnessed with my camera. I have tried saving a Levels file and a Curves file - but when I load it into the file of another piciture in this series, it just sits there. It doesn't change the Levels and Curves of the target file. Is there an abracadabra or two I need to know about?

Peter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back