Filters and F-Stops

Yes, polarizers stop light by 2 stops normally. There's also 1 stop versions.
I've always thought that this is a great over simplification. If most of the light in the scene is reflected off a window or water etc, then the effect of the polarizing filter will depend very much on it's orientation. In one position it will pass most of the reflected light, while in another it will block most of the reflected light. There could quite easily be 5 or more stops difference just from rotating the filter. In more everyday scenes where a polarizers are useful a 1 stop variation is easily achievable.

Off course with TTL metering &/or today's instant review options this is no longer a real issue for most photographers.
It is an oversimplification, as the OP is not an experienced person with polarizers/NDs and thus is asking for a basic understanding. Sometimes correlating your answer into consideration of the knowledge level of person asking the question helps them to understand things quicker, rather going into explicit details that can derail their understanding for many more pages of questions/replies.

Yes, polarizers stop light by 2 stops normally. There's also 1 stop versions.
I've always thought that this is a great over simplification. If most of the light in the scene is reflected off a window or water etc, then the effect of the polarizing filter will depend very much on it's orientation. In one position it will pass most of the reflected light, while in another it will block most of the reflected light. There could quite easily be 5 or more stops difference just from rotating the filter. In more everyday scenes where a polarizers are useful a 1 stop variation is easily achievable.

Off course with TTL metering &/or today's instant review options this is no longer a real issue for most photographers.
It is an oversimplification, as the OP is not an experienced person with polarizers/NDs and thus is asking for a basic understanding. Sometimes correlating your answer into consideration of the knowledge level of person asking the question helps them to understand things quicker, rather going into explicit details that can derail their understanding for many more pages of questions/replies.

No problem, milk comes before meat. That is why I have included when I came to the hobby in my signature.

That said I am grateful for help and guidance and any helpful suggestions, I never comment badly when thing don't make sense, I pick out from the bits I do know and let the rest go over my head for now, there are often bits I know along with many I may not. I know one day I will understand the deeper things more clearly. Till then my mind takes in the data it understands, until my memory bank is full, it then has to be absorbed, compressed and filed, before more advanced additional information can be added. One day at a time. :icon_study: :icon_camera: think :icon_study: :icon_camera: think :BangHead: did I understand? Go back :icon_study: :icon_camera: think :encouragement:

Thank you

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back