Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

Wawe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tommiaarniophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I'm looking for circular polarizing and ND filters for my lenses and have none of these to start with. So I'm interested in buying a complete, future proof collection of high quality filters. I have no clearly determined budget but generally I’m willing to pay a little extra for a filter that doesn’t affect image quality significantly.

I’ll start by quickly going through my relevant gear. Fairly recently I bought a D800 body and, as for the lenses, have

- a Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro (62mm filter thread),

- a Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G (77mm filter thread) and

- a Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G (no filter thread).

I'm also probably going to buy the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II (77mm filter thread) at some point, so the central filter size for me would be 77mm and then a step-up adapter for the 62mm thread would allow me to use the same filter with the micro Nikkor.

My first question considers this setup. Which regular ND and Circular polarizing filters would you recommend for me? Could I get by with only, say, one ND1000 (a.k.a. the Big Stopper) or would you suggest buying a set of less dark ones? Also, I've noted that the prices for step-up adapters vary from a couple of dollars to tens of dollars, so I would appreciate it if anyone could tell whether there’s a point in buying the more expensive ones or if the cheaper alternatives do the job as well.

Then, as for the real problem part, the filters for the 14-24mm: has anyone got experience with these? What would you recommend? I did some quick research on the matter but found only a few written reviews on the filter sets for this lens with somewhat ambiguous conclusions. Also Youtube doesn’t help much. In addition, I’m aware that a polarizing filter on this wide a lens could cause the sky to appear unevenly colored but I probably would use the polarizing filter on this lens mainly to see through the reflections in water, such as in water fall pictures.

Apart from the separate solutions, i.e., a regular filters for rest of my lenses and another set for the 14-24mm, is there a filter set on the market that I could apply for both the lens without the filter thread and my other lenses? Having not heard of one I’m skeptical for this type of solution but it would be the optimal setup as I would avoid buying two types of filters for my different lenses.

Thanks a lot in advance!

This depends

Circular screw in filters are convenient and easy to use and take with you.
You could go with a square filter system such as Cokin and Lee.

For Circ Polzarizer & NDs I went with 77mm B+W.
B+W has multiple quality filters though .. from $77 up to $380 from single coating to multiple coatings and wizbang things on it.

The NDs I have multiples ones from 0.3 up to 3.0 Because depending upon the situation may depend upon the filter. After all a 10 stop filter in bright day light is different when it's dark outside.

The square filters are great though especially if you need graduated filters.

FYI, the stepup filters also vary like the filters do in the mounts.
Cheapers one can be made of plastic
then aluminum
then brass.

The brass ones are best to not strip threads.
So there a difference between a $5 stepup ring and a $25 B+W stepup ring, just like with filters.

My biggest issue is I now have a lens that is 82mm. But for shooting the sun I think I can get away with a stepdown ring to 77

Last edited:
Much depends on what kind of shooting you will do. I have a similar Nikon set up, I shoot landscape/nature. In reality, you will need a little of everything, so just start collecting now. You don't want to NOT have something when you need it. I use screw in filters and a cokin zpro slide in filter system for all my lenses. Hitech makes great 4x6s. For my 14-24 I use the Lee system. It is a pain in the butt, big and cumbersome, but it works. One problem is that it is difficult to use a big stopper type filter due to light leakage. There are ways to work with it but I have found it easier to use a screw in 10 stop on another lens when I want to shoot with one. Step up adapter for the 62 for sure, but you won't use filters much on that 105, except maybe a CP.

This depends

B+W has multiple quality filters though .. from $77 up to $380 from single coating to multiple coatings and wizbang things on it.

The NDs I have multiples ones from 0.3 up to 3.0 Because depending upon the situation may depend upon the filter. After all a 10 stop filter in bright day light is different when it's dark outside.

Thanks astroNikon!

What's the benefit from additional coatings? And what type of B+W filter do you own?

Much depends on what kind of shooting you will do. I have a similar Nikon set up, I shoot landscape/nature. In reality, you will need a little of everything, so just start collecting now. You don't want to NOT have something when you need it. I use screw in filters and a cokin zpro slide in filter system for all my lenses. Hitech makes great 4x6s. For my 14-24 I use the Lee system. It is a pain in the butt, big and cumbersome, but it works. One problem is that it is difficult to use a big stopper type filter due to light leakage. There are ways to work with it but I have found it easier to use a screw in 10 stop on another lens when I want to shoot with one. Step up adapter for the 62 for sure, but you won't use filters much on that 105, except maybe a CP.

Thanks for your input!

I would probably need filters for landscapes only.

Could you clarify what you mean by light leakage issues with big stopper type filter? And how can these be overcome?

This depends

Thanks astroNikon!

What's the benefit from additional coatings? And what type of B+W filter do you own?
The coatings are all about reducing glare while NOT reducing the amount of light coming into the lens. Then of course there are the coatings to reduce the amount of light.

The better the coating(s) the better at reducing glare without affecting colors, detail etc.
this may help some more with the technical side of it ==> LensRentals.com - The Glass in Front of Your Glass: All About Filters

I Have B+W filters, NDs of
0.3 / ND2 / ND 101
they can go by other names too as identified on the first one, but here's a chart => Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a UWA lens so I have several in Slimline frame, multi-coated. Some are regular F-Pro frame single coatings. They get expensive quickly .
When I take pictures of the Sun, I stack them all as one big block of filters.

My C-Pol is slimline multicoated

I have the fotodiox adapter for the tokina 16-28, which like the 14-24 has no filter threads, and they make one that fits the 14-24 as well. I mostly use a CPL on this for waterfalls like you said. Its a little cumbersome, and takes a minute or two to put it on because you need to remove the lens to put it on. I do really like it though.

Thanks for your input!

Could you clarify what you mean by light leakage issues with big stopper type filter? And how can these be overcome?

The square filters slide in and aren't very secure so light leaks between the filter and the mount. It only takes a tiny bit to ruin a photo in sunlight. I modified mine with some tiny strips of rubber and it worked ok, but I prefer a screw on filter for long daytime exposures.

Thanks for your input!

The square filters slide in and aren't very secure so light leaks between the filter and the mount. It only takes a tiny bit to ruin a photo in sunlight. I modified mine with some tiny strips of rubber and it worked ok, but I prefer a screw on filter for long daytime exposures.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Do you happen to be aware of any products that would be designed to minimize the leakage? Wouldn't want to start playing with strips of rubber myself...

Thanks for your input!

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Do you happen to be aware of any products that would be designed to minimize the leakage? Wouldn't want to start playing with strips of rubber myself...
I don't have square filters, but I thought the good ones were actually glass.
So they fit tighter and may not have light leakage versus one that is a more flimsy type of filter ??

Thanks for your input!

I don't have square filters, but I thought the good ones were actually glass.
So they fit tighter and may not have light leakage versus one that is a more flimsy type of filter ??

The ones I use are resin, they work great and you don't have to worry about shattering the glass ones.They are pretty solid so I don't think there would be much of a difference in light leakage between resin and glass.

Most reactions

Back